Nervous pony

Native Lover

Native Pony Fan
Jul 13, 2009
Lincolnshire,wheres the hills?
stores.shop.ebay.co.uk
I bought my baby Highland earlier in the year, to show and be my next riding horse when Melody needs A gentler life. However with my partners illness we decided tovtakevup a friend's offer to have her on loan. I have no problems there I know she will be well looked after.

Well this week shes had her feet trimmed for the first time no easy job apparently. i asked how she was behaving and its so so but she said she is very nervous.....she live out 247 with two ponires for company.

How would you go about helping her to be less nervous ?????

If your unable to handle her daily and consistently I guess its going to be hard to introduce her to life. Wish you were closer, Im after a highland!

Gimp join the Highland pony Group on Facebook they are often looking for homes for ponies on there loans or some allow terms/instalments to a good home .... ì got belle and Melody gifted to me.... and the youngster was part paid for when her own gave me her papers and a note saying they didn't want the balance of payment....

I am sure your dream could be realised :)

Last edited:
Most of the nervy ones I've had come around pretty quickly without me doing anything in particular as my others have taught them to not be scared, so long as they don't get bullied in the field they learn so much from those around them and how they interact with people :)

Reactions: Native Lover
a lot of people assume Highlands come as ready made, bombproof plods and it’s just not the case. Brook is extremely nervous and the only way I can keep on top of it is with regular input. It was one of the reasons I sold Briea, my cob mare, I didn’t have time to give them both enough work and handling. Brook lives out 24/7 but most days I try to bring her in, give her a brush and just handle her. At the moment she’s only ridden maybe once or twice a week. If I dont keep this up she just regresses :( I’ve had her 18 months now and when I bought her she was a totally unhandled 3 year old. I spent a year doing groundwork with her before backing her in March this year. She’s not done a lot but she’s seen plenty for her age.... she’s trailered out a lot to hack in different places with other horses, she’s been to different venues for lessons, she hacks out on her own here. However if I leave her for a week or 2... she literally reverts to ferrel :( For eg, she is hard to catch (not in a stubborn way, she is nervous of me again) she jumps at everything, she barely copes with getting her rug on, she forgets about picking up her feet and panics.
Good luck, I think they’ll just need to try and do something with her everyday.

Reactions: Gimp
newrider.com