Never Seen This Bit Before, Anyone?

Never. Was about to say I wouldn't want to try it, but then thought about my own bit which Tobes loves, and decided not to!

Pic of Tobes bit.

Attachments

• for_sale_new_snaffle.jpg
    for_sale_new_snaffle.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 34
Its the Rockin S Raised Snaffle. The rings that the reins attach to are separate to the rings that the cheekpieces attach to so the bit stays very still in the mouth, has no poll action, the centre piece moves backwards when you use the reins so there is no tongue pressure either. And it sits low down in the mouth.

I don't know anything about trotting horses or driving horses. I just assumed they would be able to use the same bits as for riding.

Trotting is a thriving sport around here, we know a few trainers locally and I've seen both of those bits before. I don't know much about the sport and I have no idea why trotters have special bits - but if you think about it I suppose it makes sense that they don't use normal riding bits, because they carry out a different function (trotters are not being taught to go "on the bit" for example). Similarly I've seen a lot of bits used for general carriage-driving that I've never seen used on riding horses.

Is it similar to showjumpers and their 'its the latest fashion so my horse must need it too' bits:devil:

Fairly sweeping generalisation there don't you think? Maybe at amateur level of competition there is an element of "I'm using this because everyone else does" but as you go up the levels towards professional competition, people generally tend to aim for function/effectiveness rather than "fashion" ;) Normally a particular bit or other piece of tack becomes commonly-used within a sport because it has been proven to WORK ;)

Last edited:
sorry, yes it was a bit of a sweeping statement - I have been watching some SJ on telly, and was getting a bit irate at some of the ironmongery on display - I am sure it does work, but I am sure the same , or better, effect in many cases could be achieved with a less severe bit and more time spent schooling - these are meant to be professionals! But I guess SJ is a job to many of them, so they get the horses up the grades as quickly as possible.

Ugh, I am ranting again :redface: I suppose the bits do have a purpose in some cases.

I would be really interested to learn more about the trotting bits, just out of curiosity - from what I have seen the head carriage is quite high, so I would think the bit action is quite different, but it must have the same aims of brakes and steering - would high head carriage mean more pressure on the corners of the mouth and less on the bars?

You are right of course, in many cases what you say may well be true :) But top-level competition horses are, by and large, extremely highly-strung and energetic creatures who are simply too strong and difficult to ride in more subtle tack. You also have to remember that even the strongest of bits is not "magic" and will not get a horse to the top grades in place of good schooling. Since I became a groom for a professional showjumper I have discovered from watching my boss and her colleagues that some of the bits commonly used in the sport are actually far less severe than they look. If I were a horse, I would rather be ridden in a complex bit by a competent rider with good hands, than having my tongue squashed by a single-jointed snaffle used by someone heavy-handed. But, that is for another thread :)

why do trotters/pacers need such wierd bits?

Is it similar to showjumpers and their 'its the latest fashion so my horse must need it too' bits:devil:

I would have a guess that they have different bit due to the angle of the rein? Are trotters not pulling someone behind who is very low to the ground and the rein is at an angle?

To reply to the second part, i wouldn't imagine anyone following a trend or fashion. If you want what is best for you and your horse, then you use what they go best in.

Never. Was about to say I wouldn't want to try it, but then thought about my own bit which Tobes loves, and decided not to!

Pic of Tobes bit.

hee hee I have that bit for my horse - it looks like it will be really severe when it fact its actually a really kind bit I decided on it when looking up Mark Rashid! :giggle:

newrider.com