New 2 year old.

brandy28655

Dec 21, 2018
Hi guys,
I bought this little gelding earlier in the week, and wonder what you think of him. Rising two, and no history on him.
Ive not measured him yet, but im guessing around 12hh, Im about 5'8
Any guesses on full height? Or want to add some comments for anyone who has had gypsy cobs?
He's a sweet but cheeky boy, really looking forward to working with him over the next couple of years.
The plan is to be a ride and drive. (Ride for a child-he has a short back) 49348515_598600513910031_3892170436754014208_n.jpg

If you measure from the ground to the elbow straight up the front leg, then double that measurement, it normally gives you full grown height within an inch either way (once they are over a year old) :)

rising two I would expect him to be a bit bigger if he was going to be typical cob of 14-16hh so suspect he would be quite small. I fostered a cob youngster as a yearling and she was a good 13hh by then.

Rule of thumb with cobs is to add 2 hands onto a 12 month old and 1 onto a 24 month old.

What a cutie! I suspect you are going to have a rather dashing mini-cob in a few years!
Regarding height, I have no idea about cobs really, but my pony was 12hh at rising 2 and is still only 12.2 fully grown, so sometimes they don't gain a great deal in height, just fill out more.

Reactions: Huggy
My welsh cob who is 8month old is 13/13.1hh at the bum just now he’s to make 14.3/15hh. If he’s to make that height I’d expect him about 13.2/14hh at 2.

He is super sweet. I had no intentions of buying a baby but came across him, and he was in my yard the next day. I have no sense at all it seems. lol I did the test, and it is saying 13.2 so sounds about right. The vet has put on passport 2016 approx for birth year. We are guessing that he is a gypsy cob that has been dumped as a foal. But, my vet is very happy with him and says he's very healthy and strong. Has/had a mild case of mites, (this is where I dole out money for injections) and lice, (which I medicated shampooed to death.) I have set up a folder on my Facebook just for him. I am going to record his growth and achievements.

Worm him, if not already done, with the most nuclear and expensive wormer that covers everything.

Feed him daily hardfeed and get him growing rather than plain surviving, which is probably all he has done all his life. If he needs a balancer, extra vitamins and minerals, get them. What you feed or put in him now may pay dividends later and make up for his poorly start in life.

Well, that is what I would do.

Reactions: brandy28655
Worm him, if not already done, with the most nuclear and expensive wormer that covers everything.

Feed him daily hard feed and get him growing rather than plain surviving, which is probably all he has done all his life. If he needs a balancer, extra vitamins and minerals, get them. What you feed or put in him now may pay dividends later and make up for his poorly start in life.

Well, that is what I would do.
He was wormed on Sat morning. Asked vet for the best thing for him the night I bought him. Has been given jab for mites yesterday, and getting the second jab for mites as well as sec. jab for vaccine next week. He is on good hay with Mollychaff original and horse and pony mix. He has a salt and mineral lick as well, toys for the stable, and doing groundwork every day. Today was tying him up in the yard, with a bit of hay, while I groomed my loan horse nearby. Just to get him used to standing tied.
I'm a novice, to tell you the truth, but I am doing everything in my power to make sure he has everything he needs in life and gets the manners to make him a great adult pony one day. I'm a mom, so my job as a parent is to raise my kids to be decent human beings. I figure the same can be applied to horses. But in the foundation and raise them up to be decent equines.

I think it is designed for young stock as well. I would consider a two year old that had a bad start as young stock.

The blurb says it supports even growth and muscle development, which I think he could do some help with.

Attachments

• 7E260CD8-D9F2-4888-A7D7-C18FA18C9A4E.jpeg
    7E260CD8-D9F2-4888-A7D7-C18FA18C9A4E.jpeg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1
I think it is designed for young stock as well. I would consider a two year old that had a bad start as young stock.

The blurb says it supports even growth and muscle development, which I think he could do some help with.
Thank you for that. I have no info at all on his history. I know his general health is good. Ive not seen any sign of worms in his poos either. So fingers crossed he has dodged a bullet. The only info I have, is the girl who sold him to me, said the farm she bought him from, bought him from the meat man. So, im guessing he went through Beeston.

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I bought this little gelding earlier in the week, and wonder what you think of him. Rising two, and no history on him.
Ive not measured him yet, but im guessing around 12hh, Im about 5'8
Any guesses on full height? Or want to add some comments for anyone who has had gypsy cobs?
He's a sweet but cheeky boy, really looking forward to working with him over the next couple of years.
The plan is to be a ride and drive. (Ride for a child-he has a short back) View attachment 96338
Oh, he's a cutie! I've not had much experience of gypsy cobs, but recently bought my Irish cob. He's 12, and is 13hh, but BROAD! I totally get the sweet but cheeky thing! I'm used to a very gentle NF (now retired) and my new boy is very lovable, but wow , so stubborn! He's also got the short back. You might find as this one grows up he fills out and becomes a weight bearer - mine certainly is. I'm a small adult (5'3, 8.5 st) and don't look or feel under-horsed. Be interested to hear how he goes on - Good luck!

I am impressed with the feather he has already.
Mine is slightly shy on growing hers.

For me height is less important than manners and temperament. I am glad mine wasn't bigger because she was a madam. :)

newrider.com