New and a bit confused??

leanne1983

Dec 7, 2011
Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Hi everyone :biggrin:
Ok I'm 28 and been riding for only a few months.
I've got the rising trot and my RI is happy with how quickly i've come on, however I've had 4 lessons on the Canter and I just cant keep him going it's so frustrating! RI keeps shouting 'cant see no leg on' and I'm guessing thats why he goes back to trot.
Can someone please explain at what point in a Canter do I need leg contact, how much and what position?:redface: I'm losing my foot position on the left stirrup every time too.
I've just been concentrating on my loosening my body up to get into his stride and keeping balance not to mention my arms down lol.
Feel like I'm never going sync everything:cry:
Leanne xxx

welcome to NR :D

From what you're saying it sounds like you need to sort out your balance and position first. once you have that nailed, the cantering will get much easier (and yes, some horses do require legs to stay on). ask your instructor for a few lessons on the lunge maybe? that way your instructor has to worry about keeping the horse going, whilst you can work on staying put :)

x

Hi Leanne

Why dont you tell us a bit more about yourself?

When you ask for canter you need impulsion, you put your leg on (well, you actually raise one leg on one side........Ooh it is complicated to describe so speak to your RI)
If the horse begins to lose impulsion you will feel this and put your 'Leg on' to keep the pace hence the reason your RI is saying this.

Cant help you sorry. I was always losing one stirrup. But because i have now got a youngster i have stopped my leasons for a while. Cannot afford hoss and lessons at mo. But anyhooooooo hello and welcome.

I have slightly old fashioned views on teaching canter (like most things ..sorry!!!)...

I like to start everyone with a few strides and not holding the reins to get the feel as until you get this you will stiffen and restrict the horse even without the complications of reins. I prefer to do this down along side effectively loose schooling a trustworthy horse! Next comes cantering holding the reins in one hand and after that feeling when the horse is dropping out of canter and either using legs or a tap on the neck (I use this as a canter training aid with all my horses as it generally is easier for a novice to do than use legs correctly!) Once riders can do this they move onto holding reins and having a light contact. Takes a bit longer to progress but makes for a better position and understanding ultimately.

Oh and to agree with Kathy1 we do a lot of sitting trot work to establish the seat before attempting canter.

Hi Leanne :wavespin:

Agree with what everyone else has said about balance and position. Some lessons on the lunge will definitely help you relax and feel what should be happening. If you are losing your balance or tipping forward your RS horse might be looking after you and slowing down - or he might really be lazy and need more 'leg'. But either way, your core is the key.

p.s. canter is a big progression so don't get stressed about it - when it comes it's brilliant so have patience with yourself :)

hello :smile: I cant help with the canter question (Can't canter in the school, I only canter on hacks when I'm not worrying about position etc and just enjoying it) but welcome to NR and as you'll already see some one always has useful answers...its just not ever me :giggle:

Hello and welcome

It seems you are dloing really well but like most have said balance and indepent hands are the key to a good canter. I would not let my OH canter my boy (used for his lessons) until I and his RI were happy that he could rising trot with out pulling on the reins and then do a good sitting trot with out clinging with his legs.

Once he manged this and believe me I it tooks months not weeks he was allowed on the lunge to start his canter lessons.

Now he has an excellent seat and no problems with getting canter or keeping it.

Thank you for the replies:smile:

Well a little about me, Im a full time mum with 2 boys (7&8) and a very mischievous little lady in her terrible two's lol.
Coby my 7 year old is autistic (high functioning) and has a rare kidney disorder. Myself and husband have been trying to find him a hobby for the past few years with no joy. I suggested we take him for a riding lesson and all i can say is i sat in tears watching him ride. It was like a duck to water and i've never seen him so happy. :smile:
So anyway after a few months of taking him i decided i would like a few lessons and was hooked.
I have never done any sitting trot all rising which RI said is perfect now.
First few lessons on canter was shocking but my reins are fine now just my legs:banghead:
I always ride the same horse (Murphy) he's 14 a 16.2 hunter and i love him to bits but he is a lazy bum and does need constant telling as he would rather walk lol. Although when he's on it i he's great. All or nothing with him.
We have even been jumping which i surprised myself with as didn't end up on the floor and kept my positioning bar once when he was over enthusiastic, he knew i had lost my balance on landing and might sound silly but I'm sure the way he reacted was to stop me falling, it was so nice.
I am starting to feel like I've hit a brick wall with canter though xxx

Wow you have a lot going on - horsey-wise and not!
A lot of RS horses will look after their riders which is great in the early days but sometimes gets in the way of learning to correct yourself.

Still sounds like some lunge lessons would be beneficial so you can concentrate on your legs while the RI controls the horse. I think it's easy to think that being on the lunge is for kids and total beginners but it's a great way for anyone to work on their riding in specific areas. I used to share lessons with a friend and when she broke her wrist and couldn't ride for a while the first thing I did was turn up and demand an hour on the lunge while I had the RI to myself. By the end of the hour I'd cantered without stirrups (not so bad) and without reins :eek: so it was totally worth it and really enjoyable.

You are so welcome to NR and it is good news that your son likes the horses.

If the school suits your son - I ride at two schools which give lessons to similar children, it is rather surprising that you have been jumping and cantering so soon.

how quickly i've come on,

To be honest, speed is not of the essence for anyone when learning to ride safely and comfortably.
And too many schools teach canter early. There is a perverse logic.
For safety reasons there was many things new riders are not recommended to do until they can ride canter.
As a result the schools want to achieve canter as soon as possible. But it is exactly because canter creates a precarious situation for a new rider, that being able to ride canter is regarded as securing your safety out hacking or in a spook.

Canter is very visible but it is not the only valid marker of progress. eml is an experienced teacher. Similarly at our RS canter is taught carefully, stage by stage, and only after riders can sit to trot. It is taught on the lunge, and is taught from walk not trot, because learners are more secure in the saddle at walk than when sitting trot round a corner of the school.

But the important thing is for the RI to judge exactly when each learner is ready to ride canter. My OH who was approaching 70, had been riding for a year before he cantered. My grand daughter six months. But both of them had an easy and enjoyable first canter and built on that.

My experience was very different and many people on NR have been put off canter long term by being taught the wrong way and at the wrong time. If you do press on, you will learn canter, your body will adapt, regardless of method - but you wont necessarily enjoy it as much.

Putting the leg on in canter (to ask for more forward movement), isnt that easy for a new canterer. As you say, you are relaxing to allow the movement and to ride smoothly. When one moves ones legs or presses them against the horse, one is tightening the leg muscles and that may have the effect of tightening your whole body and stopping the horse. If you are relaxed and the horse is cantering freely as a result, my rule of thumb is to use some leg every three strides. But I got into that habit because the trainer Mark Rashid encourages one to feel the movment of the horse under one in all gaits by counting the strides. So I am always counting. Putting the leg on every third step left time for me to relax on the other two.

This counting is not a good habit in the long run, as good riders want to canter or trot to a particular point or to a marker on the school. Whereas I have a habit of transitioning after a certain number of steps. But it may answer your question.

Thank you for the advice:biggrin:
My lesson are pretty fast paced which is starting to bug me a little but all i get from RI is "I wouldnt push you if i didnt think you could do it"! saying that i would like things a little slower so i get the chance to take it all in and enjoy myself a bit more.
I will suggest a lesson on lunge and see if it helps.
Thanks again
Leanne xxx

Leanne - Just a word of caution - not all riding instructors teach on the lunge. To have a good lunge lesson one needs a teacher who knows how and who has a lunge lesson horse.
And eml has pointed out in a previous thread that not all adults like being on the lunge - because it involves handing control to someone else - which is why some very good teachers dont use it.

I guess you must be an above average rider to have this problem. Good luck.

newrider.com