New at horse riding with no riding clothes, send help!!

Panagiota

Aug 14, 2022
I have a huge problem and I do need help, so the thing is I'm new into riding and don't really have the best equipment. It's been almost two weeks and I am riding wearing leggings and my converse chuck Taylor. The thing is there is no near equestrian shop in my town and it's not really easy getting out of town to go buy some. And the other thing is I don't really trust online shopping cause I don't know if the size is gonna fit me.

I really need an advise! Should I keep wearing my leggings and my converse until I have the chance to go outside town or order online??

"Proper" riding gear isn't necessary all the time, the main thing is that what you ride in should be (a) safe and (b) comfortable. Leggings are absolutely fine if you are comfortable. However I would strongly advise against riding in your converse, I have a pair of those and would never think to ride in them even as an experienced rider. Flat, slippy soles like that are not safe as your whole foot could potentially slide right through the stirrup - this is an inconvenience at best, but if you were to be unseated at that point and fall of the horse you could be dragged along by your foot. You don't necessarily need to be in footwear designed for horse-riding, but to be safe at the very least it needs to be something with a small heel and good grip.

Like @joosie I think the leggings are fine for now, or if the weather gets cooler skinny fit jeans are another good option if they have plenty of stretch. I would definitely get some better footwear though, what you have isn't safe with normal stirrups and I'm slightly surprised that where you're learning is letting you ride in them.

You don't say where you are, but in the UK there are plenty of online tack shops that are trustworthy, look for one that does free returns if they aren't the right fit and quite a few do free delivery over a certain amount that you may well hit if looking at boots. Go for short ones for now, it's easier to get the right fit, they're cheaper (cheap long boots are usually poor quality and not nice to ride in), you can add chaps later if you want and if you don't carry on riding you can use them for normal wear. Laces or zips are personal choice, or there are still pill on ones around though the fit can go very loose around the ankle as the elastic wears so a lot of people don't bother with them now.

The other thing to get as soon as you decide you're keeping riding is your own hat, while schools do hire them you can never be sure how well they've been looked after and that does affect how well they work if you hit your head in a fall.

Reactions: Nierva and Huggy
Loose jeans are fine too. Many male trainers ride in jeans. Polo players play in white jeans.

But you should ride with boots (or shoes) that have a heel. This prevents your foot slipping right forward through the stirrup. It is also a good idea to have a hard toed boot in case the horse steps on your foot.

Last edited:
I rode in jeans And all-purpose Blundstone boots. I do have jodhpurs and riding trousers but can’t be bothered to go and change just to ride. Jeans work. The boots are, however, the important bit. A small heel and not too wide for the stirrup. Think safety at all times. I also never get on a horse without a hat that is my hat and fits me properly. Gloves if I am cold.

I ride in leggings all the time even after 40 years, they’re comfy 😁 but you definitely need to sort some boots, they don’t have to be equestrian ones but sturdy boots with a small heel are essential for the reasons mentioned above.

I have breeches but never wear them because they are a faff. When it's hot I wear riding tights, which are just leggings with the riding-important bits reinforced. When it's cold I often wear super-stretchy jeans. But I always wear my boots and my hat.I like long boots because I've had some uncomfortable calf pinches from stirrup leathers riding in short ones.

ETA I bought my last pair of boots online and it was easy for me.

My OH rode for some time in the lace up city walking shoes that he wore to go to work in London.
I think I have posted before that after I had ridden for a year and would clearly continue,I bought myself short boots from Aryat (summer) and Mountain Horse (winter) and i still wear those same boots and have the correct size stirrups for both of them. Since it is hard to judge stirrup size by eye, I mark my winter stirrups by tying on a thread of red cotton (Father Christmas)

If we are recommending shops I used Rideaway for years.

My OH rode for some time in the lace up city walking shoes that he wore to go to work in London.
I think I have posted before that after I had ridden for a year and would clearly continue,I bought myself short boots from Aryat (summer) and Mountain Horse (winter) and i still wear those same boots and have the correct size stirrups for both of them. Since it is hard to judge stirrup size by eye, I mark my winter stirrups by tying on a thread of red cotton (Father Christmas)

If we are recommending shops I used Rideaway for years.
We both wore Loveson walking boots to our first riding lessons as adults. I like Rideaway too, I've had a lot of items for the horses from them over the years. I used to go and visit Rideaway in person when we lived near York, it's a lovely shop.

I'm too large for my jodhs now. I would have to chance riding in my skinnies! They are very stretchy though - I buy Asda Wonderfit and with 5 per cent lycra I'd say they are every bit as stretchy as jodhs - and quite light weight too.

No, walking boots are not ok . One needs smooth soles for riding . As well as a heel You can ride in dual purpose boots

No, walking boots are not ok . One needs smooth soles for riding . As well as a heel You can ride in dual purpose boots
Walking boots ARE fine. My first livery yard BHS school riding owner told me they would be fine. And they were. Not sure where you are coming from saying they aren't. Walking boots are not smooth soled but none of my riding boots are? All my riding boots have a grippy sole.

No you don't need smooth soles, that's nonsense. In fact you'd probably have to look for leather soled boots now to get smooth soles, most riding boots have some sort of grip on them. And if you think you need smooth soles what do you make of the move for more and more stirrups to have very grippy treads?

Smooth soles on a pair of borrowed boots were a big factor in me slipping under a horse years ago when I dismounted onto muddy ground. Considering I'd got onto her because she'd been acting up - hence the borrowed boots - I was very lucky not to get more than a bruised backside!

Reactions: Nierva
No you don't need smooth soles, that's nonsense. In fact you'd probably have to look for leather soled boots now to get smooth soles, most riding boots have some sort of grip on them. And if you think you need smooth soles what do you make of the move for more and more stirrups to have very grippy treads?

Smooth soles on a pair of borrowed boots were a big factor in me slipping under a horse years ago when I dismounted onto muddy ground. Considering I'd got onto her because she'd been acting up - hence the borrowed boots - I was very lucky not to get more than a bruised backside!
That sounded nasty but as you say, a bruised bum is bad but could have been worse! Smooth soled boots are a nightmare. I have a vintage pair of 1980's long "fashion" boots. They had a leather sold and omg even in the house they were liability! In fact, I didn't wear them again until mr trews put some new grippy heels on them (sole tracks I think they were).

Reactions: Nierva
Like @joosie I think the leggings are fine for now, or if the weather gets cooler skinny fit jeans are another good option if they have plenty of stretch. I would definitely get some better footwear though, what you have isn't safe with normal stirrups and I'm slightly surprised that where you're learning is letting you ride in them.

You don't say where you are, but in the UK there are plenty of online tack shops that are trustworthy, look for one that does free returns if they aren't the right fit and quite a few do free delivery over a certain amount that you may well hit if looking at boots. Go for short ones for now, it's easier to get the right fit, they're cheaper (cheap long boots are usually poor quality and not nice to ride in), you can add chaps later if you want and if you don't carry on riding you can use them for normal wear. Laces or zips are personal choice, or there are still pill on ones around though the fit can go very loose around the ankle as the elastic wears so a lot of people don't bother with them now.

The other thing to get as soon as you decide you're keeping riding is your own hat, while schools do hire them you can never be sure how well they've been looked after and that does affect how well they work if you hit your head in a fall.
Well I am from Greece :) I found your reply really helpful and thank you for it, as for the helmet I actually do have my own which fit me very well!

I wear Meindl walking boots - mountan boots for real mountains and a lighter pair for winter walking. I would not ride in either of them. I wouldnt want to ride in Commando soles.

As for smooth soles. My very expensive best Italian boots have smooth soles.

newrider.com