new barn advice - monarch or redmire

zignet

Jan 15, 2006
can anyone help i am looking to have built american barn stabling and i cant decide whether to go for monarch or redmire. Does anyone have any experience of either company or do you know of any other companies?
bit fed up now as couldnt make a decision to save my life!!!

well, dont know much about them, but i havent heard of redmire before, but i think monarch are meant to be good. why dont you look on their site

They are both spoken of quite highly.

Our last yard had a Monarch barn with 12 stables inside (American style with 6 stables each side of the central aisle), and the build quality seemed great - it looked like it would last for ever. They encouraged the YO to go for a perspex roof (might not have been actual perspex but you get the idea) and the whole barn was really light and airy. Each stable had a large window on its back wall as well so the horses had a fantastic view of the yard as well as into the barn. They also had built in feeders (swivel style so you can tip the feed in from outside and then swing the feeder round into the stable) which were very time saving although they do make the horses eat high up which I'm not keen on. But apparently they are really open to design ideas and will take time to come up with a plan that you're totally happy with. So you could probably say what you wanted for feeding and window arrangements if you wanted something different :)

Thanks for the replies. Fantastic information on the Monarch barn thanks very much. Can I pick you brains a bit further on the Monarch barn - was the roof noisey when it rained or when it was windy and did you find it hot in the summer. I do love the idea of the clear roof but was a bit concerned on the above points.

With the (large) double sliding doors at each end open, it was sometimes a bit noisy (winter gales outside don't help!), but as soon as they were shut it was a lot quieter and more sheltered. It wasn't so much the roof that made the noise, just the wind hitting the partially open doors.

The roof might need cleaning every so often to allow the light through, especially if leaves/debris are left to settle and rot. Although even then it would be no worse than a traditional stable I guess!

We were only at this yard from September to late December due to their strange disinclination to actually feed my horse any hay :mad: so I have no personal experience of summer/heat. My gut feeling is that it would have remained quite cool as the roof had ventilation bits, and there were the louvred windows at the back of each stable, plus the main barn doors could all be left slid open overnight.

@ fiesty filly - as far as I know, an American barn is a long central aisle with either stalls or stables running each side of it, and doors at both ends. The only 2 barns I have ever heard referred to as English barns were a large open plan barn that one of my old riding schools turned the horses out in for exercise in winter (no stables/stalls in it at all), and a barn at my current yard which is quite random in design - totally open at one end, and the stables are arranged in an L shape, but with a gap between the long and short side of the L. But there may be a better definition lurking out there :) And an American barn in America may be different to an American barn in the UK!

Thanks Est for last information and excellent explanation on American barn stabling.

At long last i may have acutally made up my mind on what barn to have. Lets hope the council planning department are feeling generous.

Laetitia if you do have a redmire let me know what you think of it please.

thanks for help now i will have to look into arenas hope that doesnt take me so long otherwise i will be old and grey before i get my yard built.

newrider.com