New boots???

Old but trying!

Jan 15, 2003
UK
Visit site
I am very new to riding, only 3 lessons so far! I am still clinging on for dear life.

I have just bought some Aquacat Record boots ( I did ask for jodhpur boots) and now that I have got them home I am not sure if the heel is high enough. What is the difference between a jodhpur boot and a paddock boot? I have looked on the internet and the record boot appears in both categories on different web-sites. Have I made an expensive mistake? They do seem comfortable but I obvoiusly haven't ridden in them yet.

Any advice gratefully received.

Paddock boots/Jodphur are basically the same thing - short boots used for riding. I've noticed paddock boots tend to be lace-up while jodphur boots can be slipped on. Typically the heel should be no more than 1" high on English riding boots. This thread from the general section gets into a little more detail
http://www.newrider.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16228
They sound fine to me - the really important thing is whether they are comfortable or not!

Last edited:
Well - It seems to be out a fashion at the moment , but I was taught that boots for riding had to be safe. This includes...

1. no laces or ither things that can help a foot get caught up in a stirrup.
2. Smooth-soled ie not deep ridges like wellies or muckers
3. A defined heel (again unlike muckers)
4. A metal thingy - can never remember the name of this - Ariat boots have a y-shaped one - supporting the underneath of the foot.
5. Not too wide for the stirrup iron.

THEN - comfortable. I use Elite Thoroughbred boots, and Mountain Horse joddy boots. But the mountain horse ones are rather wide.

the metal thing is called a shank and is there to stabilise the sole making it more comfortable and safe - ie the sole doesn't collapse away from where the ball of the foot is supported by the stirrup.

I love my Ariats but I must say that I would never buy another pair with a zip front. I've just had one of them break on me and it was a mission to get it repaired and it doesn't look as good as the original (of course). Mind you I have worn them solidly for 2 years now through all sorts of weather.

I was wondering how people with long boots got on with zip repairs? (if you've got zip backed boots of course)

Having expanded in my old age to the extent I can no longer fit into my long boots, I wear Mountain Horse boots. They are really comfortable, and with half chaps, who needs long boots. Not very elegant, but then,where am I going to be elegant. So long as I can exercise my nag wearing safe gear, I'm not bothered. L

Mountain Horse boots

Can I just say that I bought some Mountain Horse High Rider boots and they are simply the best. They have elasticated backs for my oversized calves and although they are leather they are waterproof so just need a hose down. And comfortable! I always feel like a kid in jod boots and chaps aren't ideal, I can never find rubber boots that fit me and normal long leather ones seem too posh to hack about in but these are great!

I'll second that, I recently managed to find some in my size at long last and they're great, really comfy and so much better to ride in than a rubber boot. The stirrup control thingy really helps too.

I ride in jodphur boots, and was looking for some leather gaiters to wear in shows, just the short boots made me feel 'undressed' last year when I was showing. I found some, and they fit round the calf, but they are quite baggy around the ankle. Trying to decide if 'undressed' looks better than 'legs like a tree trunk'

I also bought a pair of the Mountainhorse Hi-rider boots.

They are the best thing I've ever bought and the elasticated calf is a god send! They may be leather but I've trudged up & down muddy fields in them and hacked out in all weathers. They simply get cleaned under the tap and then waxed with clear polish.

To be fair they were expensive (£110!) but I've worn them constantly for the last 2 years and they still come up like new. I'd highly recommend them.
:D

Hi

I was looking into buying a pair of Mountain horse boots unfortuately I have very chunky calfs due to riding and atheletics. My calf is about 41cm Just wondered if anyone has a similar measurement and wore wither the high rider or rimfrost boots.

Unfortunately I have to go the mail order route and postage when sending back boots is a killer so really wanna make sure they fit!!

Would be so grateful if anyone could help

They do the Mountainhorse hi-rider boots in a wide fitting and I'm pretty sure they would be fine for you. My calf is about 39-40cm and my boots are a standard fitting. The sportif hi-rider boots look like they might be a slimmer fit but the chunky style ones should be fine. (I got mine through mail order too.):D

I've also fund the steel shank in the sole to be really good as it really does seem to stop your foot slipping.

I've got a pair of ariats (can't remember which type) but I have been quite disappointed with them. The heel is higher than recommended, the steel shanks and ankle support is good, but they have let in water (from the start, although they are meant to be waterproof) and the nubuck type coating has rubbed off both toes now leaving them bright white and certainly not waterproof. A bit disappointed considering I don't use them very much and they are expensive boots - however I bought them very cheap in the sale :D :D So that's okay.

I also have a pair of aquacat paddock boots - they are great:D

I'm 5'10" but my leg appears to be really long in the calf; I had a pair of boots 19" tall up the back seam that was still too short. Might I add, that was distinctly uncomfortable! :) Catalog size charts tell me that Mountain Horse boots are 17 3/4" tall.

newrider.com