New coffee shop chat

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Thought I'd start a new coffee shop, since the old ones notifications went waffy 🤷‍♀️ A place for all the random daily stuff and to share cake :D

My randon stuff from yesterday, I think my horses are competing for the who-can-be-most-destructive trophy, 2 days ago Jess put her leg through the electric AND post & rail, fence broken, horse broken. Yesterday the ASBO boys had taken out a section of post & rail, thankfully no horse injury on that one! Seperate yards too! Whos got cake, I need cake to stay sane 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
I don't have any cake 😕 or anything particularly interesting but thought I'd share that our bit of field that we bought is coming along. All fenced in and we planted approx 1300 hedgelings last autumn which are growing nicely. The concrete base is down for the stables/yard but materials are un such short supply we don't have a date yet for their erection. No rush because the grass won't be ready this year and tbh I don't really want to leave the yard and try not to think too much about it.

And in happy news I saw a baby grass snake in our lockdown pond yesterday. It was my ambition to eventually attract amphibians and snakes. We got frogspawn this year and there is often a toad basking on warm evenings, but a snake is the ultimate achievement haha. Just need newts now. We planted some nursery bought plants last year when we made it, and MIL gave OH some snails for his birthday, but everything else has happened naturally. Really pleased with my little pond 😀

Sounds great @Bodshi, I know the price of lumbar has almost doubled since March so you may be very wise holding off if you are having it bespoke built, hopefully once people are allowed on holiday again the demand for DIY materials will drop off and prices will follow!

Your pond sounds ace, got any pictures? would Mr Grass snake be there eating said frogs and toads? Snails is a pretty unusual birthday present but if that's what he wanted lol

We had a pond in the garden until about 5 years ago. Sadly the heron decimated the fish on a weekly basis, so stopped having fish. We had a little fountain, which I loved - the sound of the water was so soothing, but when grandchildren came along, it was going to be problematic to make safe, so now it's a rockery, with a birdbath. ive been toying with the idea of one of those water features - just to have the sound again.

Raspberry & coconut sponge, brownies in natural, raspberry or peanut butter, the best millionaires shortbread ever, oat and apricot bars, granola bars, vegan black forest gateau....

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Glad you posted this new thread. I miss our daily musings. I was thinking the other day of starting one again.

Maybe if the notification thing goes funny again (although it seemed fine for me) we should do a monthly coffee shop thread instead of one thats pages long.

Raspberry & coconut sponge, brownies in natural, raspberry or peanut butter, the best millionaires shortbread ever, oat and apricot bars, granola bars, vegan black forest gateau....
Ooo millionaires shortbread for me please 😋

Glad you posted this new thread. I miss our daily musings. I was thinking the other day of starting one again.

Maybe if the notification thing goes funny again (although it seemed fine for me) we should do a monthly coffee shop thread instead of one thats pages long.
yeah I did get to almost 300 pages I think, it probably just confused the system

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Your pond sounds ace, got any pictures? would Mr Grass snake be there eating said frogs and toads?

Bodshi I love you! We have had a pond for years now and get frogs, toads, newts and slow worms. I've seen a grass snake on our compost heap but never in the pond. Good for you!
I don't think the little snake could have managed a big frog but I expect a tadpole or two would be a welcome bite. In fact I haven't seen a single tadpole today, maybe he ate them all 😬😋

I can't wait for the pond to be fully established. I'm really pleasantly surprised how quickly it's come on all by itself. A slow worm would be even more points than a grass snake, but I don't think we get them up north. A newt or two would be very nice though.

No pics of the snake, didn't have my phone with me, but here are a few of some other visitors:

Male Broad Bodied Chaser

20210609_123301_resized.jpg
Female Broad Bodied Chaser
20210609_123928_resized.jpg

Damselfly
20210629_141037_resized.jpg

Shy frog 🐸
20210617_184243.jpg

Toady
20210610_184006_resized.jpg

I was mowing the grass last week, and narrowly missed a poor slow worm - I must have caught his tail, but managed to stop and let him slither away. I'm paranoid now when I mow! I miss the wild life that came with the pond - we had frogs and newts and dragonflies. :(

Just started the day with a little clicker training with Ale. I'm using a cone now as one target and a pointy stick as another. Was just introducing both these but he got it very quickly. Next lessons I want to teach him to stand.

Aw I went to meet my friends new (5 weeks old) foal on Friday, she bred her Percheron mare for a full bred foal and he is absolutely gorgeous and HUGE! Anyway, he needs a weaning buddy, so she's asked if Hank, Niko or both could play with him for a couple of months :D and I will have mumma at my place :D It will be funny, I'll bet by weaning at Xmas he'll be as tall as Niko!

Please send cake as my ribs are so so sore. Just when i seem to be getting somewhere, like trying to redecorate the house, something happens and back to square one. Pretty fed up so cake would be good.
If you have a Tesco near you, these are very comforting. I hid them and have eaten 3 over 2 days - they're very big, and very rich.Screenshot_20210701-100629_Gallery.jpg

Did somebody mention cake???? Lockdown year was not kind to me and my eating habits slipped and I'm heavier than I'd like to be again. However, lockdown year has also made me look at my life's priorities and I realised that for the last 30 years I have battled to be thinner than my body wants to be. I've tried all sorts of diets, have lost weight sensibly and then gradually it has crept back on. Time and time again I get to a certain weight, it's always within a couple of pounds and then I stop gaining, as if my body says "I want to be THIS size" and then regulates itself. So d'you know what? I'm throwing in the towel, not fighting it anymore and accepting that this is the size I'm meant to be. Covid has taught me that life is for living so I'm just going to get on with it. I'm not too heavy for Gracie and I like food (especially cake 🤣) There. I said it.

newrider.com