New forest owners- how old is yours ?

Aug 12, 2006
Derbyshire
Im thinking of full loaning (with view to buy) a new forest. Real school master, confidence giver hard to find type who looks after any rider but will go up a gear for more experienced.
Shes a hardy little 13.3hh but shes 19. Should i be put off by this?
How old are your new forests and what are you doing with them?

I really just want something to hack out, do some schooling on and pop a jump now and again maybe the odd competition in the summer time. She sounds perfect but I'm worried how long ill have with her.

If i did buy her, would you recommend a 2 or 5 * vetting? X

She sounds lovely but at 19 you've got to be a realistic about a vetting. Personally I'd probably just ask a vet to come and give her a health check, ie, listen to her heart and lungs and check her eyes. To expect her to pass a flexion test is a big ask at her age so is it worth it paying for a vetting?

She sounds lovely but at 19 you've got to be a realistic about a vetting. Personally I'd probably just ask a vet to come and give her a health check, ie, listen to her heart and lungs and check her eyes. To expect her to pass a flexion test is a big ask at her age so is it worth it paying for a vetting?

My mistake shes actually just turned 18 last month.

Yes not a bad idea actually thanks domane

Would be interested to know others thoughts too.

I lost my lovely Ramsey earlier this year, at 31. He had cushings, so without that I think he would have kept going until his late twenties. As it was, he still liked pootling out up to 25, and hated being retired. I agree, that at 18 a full vetting is advisable, even though NFs are normally a hardy bunch. My friends daughter rode hers until 27, even doing the forest drifts! If you get a good one, they are a fantastic breed - Ramsey did it all, and I'll always miss his go to attitude.

newrider.com