New grazing box finished!

KarinUS

May 20, 2001
Texas
users.wireweb.net
Hay prices are way up and Bixby my QH mare always tosses out the flakes and then once they are dirty nobody eats them.
So we made these nifty grazing boxes (to mimic grazing -just a little hay at a time) and the horses LOVE them.
Even DJ my cribber spends almost all day grazing rather than going off to crib which is nice.
And the hay stays nice and clean. :)

The grid in the middle is from a store supply warehouse. It's usually used upright for stores to hang their merchandise on. But the 3" holes are perfect. Not too small and not to big and the horsey's seem to enjoy the challenge.

I just looked out and Bixby is still working on it (now in the dark) and DJ has decided to lay down to sleep right next to it.:)

grazingbox.jpg

grazingboxdj.jpg

That is fantastic, i honestly think you've got a great idea there! :angel:

I love your stables, never see anything like those in our part of the world! :wub:

I went out this morning to see what kind of waste to expect (after a day out they usually reject anything -picky horses) and... the box was completely empty! Like they had sucked it out with a straw. When I lifted the grid all I could find was a trail of hay dust in the pattern of the grid. lol
There was still a mess of hay in the stalls so they could have eaten some in there if they wanted to!
Monday is a holiday here and I am going to try and motivate OH to finish the smaller (2' by 3') grazing boxes for me so I can clean the stalls and say good bye to pooped on hay there too...
The big one in the picture is for outside and 4' by 4'

Great idea.... I wanted to make one last year but feel that with Harvey it wouldn't work.

Would he be able to get the grid out and also to turn the box over as Harvey does this sort of thing!!!

We have something similar at the yard, YO owns a manufacturing company and gets us big metal crate things (will take a picture) but I might measure ours and get a grid for it to slow the boys down. Fab idea.

The good thing about it is that it looks too low to crib on?

Would he be able to get the grid out and also to turn the box over as Harvey does this sort of thing!!!

It's pretty heavy. We can barely move the wood structure. Mine don't move the big one (4ftx4ft) and may move the little stall ones (2x3) but I can't imagine them being able to turn it over (the base is 4"x4" beams so bottom heavy)

newrider.com