New here

GatoMessi

Oct 2, 2021
Hi everyone

I am new to this site but am not new to riding. At the time of writing, I have had 21 private lessons, and started 3 months ago in my local Equestrian Centre in Portsmouth (and counting twice a week).

Unlike most readers, I am a mature male rider (age 53) and am profoundly deaf. I have no problems with the 4 instructors that had taught me despite of my deafness. (see attachments below - a cards that where instructors show me, and also write down details of what they want to tell me of any riding problems)

Anyway, to get to the point, I am looking for an intensive riding course (from 1 week to around 12 weeks) to improve my riding and to boost my confidence before starting University (yes at my late age!)

Does anyone know where I can do intensive riding course (other than Wellington Riding & Talland)? I would like to look at much as possible from various courses. I can always search at Google, but they aren't always there - and just in case you know.

I have crossed out Wellington because they are too expensive when you add accommodation to it (!). I am considering Talland but will wait till I find some better offer from others/

Attachments

• 53c3d8bc-88fb-452b-9e51-56c457b96300.jpg
    53c3d8bc-88fb-452b-9e51-56c457b96300.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 9
Hello :) I love the idea of the cards, that's a really good one.

Like the others I can't help with anywhere doing intensive courses, but have you considered booking a block of lessons where you already go since you seem to get on well with the instructors there? It would also mean you wouldn't have to pay extra for accommodation so could spend more on lessons. I'd be reluctant to book an intensive course somewhere I hadn't tried, I'd want to know what the place was like first hand and whether I got on with the instructors.

Another thought on such a horrible day is how about looking at a riding holiday overseas? They aren't all about riding out, some are aimed at people who want to work on their riding and as such offer fantastic experiences such as riding classically schooled horses.

Hello and welcome to NR.

We have one member who keeps his horse in Italy and goes regularly to ride her there. The place he goes to does intensive teaching. I wish I could remember who it is, can anyone help me out?

Reactions: GatoMessi
Hello :) I love the idea of the cards, that's a really good one.

Like the others I can't help with anywhere doing intensive courses, but have you considered booking a block of lessons where you already go since you seem to get on well with the instructors there? It would also mean you wouldn't have to pay extra for accommodation so could spend more on lessons. I'd be reluctant to book an intensive course somewhere I hadn't tried, I'd want to know what the place was like first hand and whether I got on with the instructors.

Another thought on such a horrible day is how about looking at a riding holiday overseas? They aren't all about riding out, some are aimed at people who want to work on their riding and as such offer fantastic experiences such as riding classically schooled horses.

Not easy to make block of bookings in my local Riding centre. That's what I am looking for soon. However I will consider having a "talk" with the administration soon. Obviously, it is best to do it during term time and weekdays where majority of school kids aren't available.

Have looked at overseas "Instructional" course including the Galiny Palace in Poland. Already considered it, but it is 7-day course. Seems only small amount of riding lessons per day when I could've done it in my local riding centre for that "small" amount.

I would prefer to do voluntary, for example in Zimbabwe where I can covered almost everything in a day. COVID was the reason I put off going there.

Hello and welcome to NR.

We have one member who keeps his horse in Italy and goes regularly to ride her there. The place he goes to does intensive teaching. I wish I could remember who it is, can anyone help me out?
Please do let me know if you remember again, and thank you

Welcome to the forum. No info on courses I'm afraid, but hope you find the right one for you.

Welcome to NR šŸ˜
I havenā€™t been to any intensive instruction places to personally recommend any, but would echo @carthorse about trying to sort something with your existing RS, or perhaps ask the RIs if they can recommend anyone. Booking lessons twice a day for 2 weeks would probably cost less than a 1 week residential course with a similar amount of instruction/riding. And at least you know what you are getting, Iā€™ve ridden at many a place that sounded great on booking but was very underwhelming in the flesh.
Something else to be aware of is the physical implication of intense riding, I rode daily at home when I went to a working ranch and did 8+ hour days in the saddle, I ached, had blisters and open wounds after a few days. My ex who only rode once a week couldnā€™t sit down after 4 days and went down with terrible sun stroke in conditions that wouldnā€™t normally have bothered him. Itā€™s physically demanding, so you could end up getting less from your trip if itā€™s too much.

Welcome to NR šŸ˜
I havenā€™t been to any intensive instruction places to personally recommend any, but would echo @carthorse about trying to sort something with your existing RS, or perhaps ask the RIs if they can recommend anyone. Booking lessons twice a day for 2 weeks would probably cost less than a 1 week residential course with a similar amount of instruction/riding. And at least you know what you are getting, Iā€™ve ridden at many a place that sounded great on booking but was very underwhelming in the flesh.
Something else to be aware of is the physical implication of intense riding, I rode daily at home when I went to a working ranch and did 8+ hour days in the saddle, I ached, had blisters and open wounds after a few days. My ex who only rode once a week couldnā€™t sit down after 4 days and went down with terrible sun stroke in conditions that wouldnā€™t normally have bothered him. Itā€™s physically demanding, so you could end up getting less from your trip if itā€™s too much.
I did a riding holiday in Andalucia, up to 8 hours a day, we left late afternoon, sometime back around midnight. We stayed on a finca with a pool, so the minute we got back we were in the pool to clean up and ease muscles and eating dinner at 1am! Boy did it hurt at times, so you have to figure out if your body is up to it. I was riding regularly then up to 3-4 hours at a stretch. did a bit of sheep herding in Australia on horseback but found that ok as had a beautiful horse to ride there

Welcome! I'm not deaf, but I am male and learnt to ride when I was 50+

I did a weeks holiday/course at Clonshire Equestrian in Ireland. I took the car and booked a self catering cottage to stay in. The have some very nice horses and good instructors

Nice to know it is never too old to START to learn. It gives me great exercising (30 minutes riding lesson plus another 30 minutes walking total) - twice a week.

By the way I am looking at Clonshire Equestrian now ;)

I'm also on the lookout for intensive riding courses, after a break of a couple of years, but would want to build up to it with more regular lessons.

I've just been reading about riding holidays in Iceland as well - the combination of unique horses and the landscape sounds incredible.

Hi everyone

I am new to this site but am not new to riding. At the time of writing, I have had 21 private lessons, and started 3 months ago in my local Equestrian Centre in Portsmouth (and counting twice a week).

Unlike most readers, I am a mature male rider (age 53) and am profoundly deaf. I have no problems with the 4 instructors that had taught me despite of my deafness. (see attachments below - a cards that where instructors show me, and also write down details of what they want to tell me of any riding problems)

Anyway, to get to the point, I am looking for an intensive riding course (from 1 week to around 12 weeks) to improve my riding and to boost my confidence before starting University (yes at my late age!)

Does anyone know where I can do intensive riding course (other than Wellington Riding & Talland)? I would like to look at much as possible from various courses. I can always search at Google, but they aren't always there - and just in case you know.

I have crossed out Wellington because they are too expensive when you add accommodation to it (!). I am considering Talland but will wait till I find some better offer from others/
Wow, you're a deaf rider? I'm, deaf as well, and I ride too! Do you have difficulties riding while deaf? I do, because my arena echoes which sucks. It's nice to see someone that is deaf and rides!

newrider.com