New Highway code - what do you think?

The BHS definitely sees riders and cyclists on a level, but a news article I was just reading didn’t, it’s going to cause confusion
View attachment 110286
I don't understand what the responsibility arrow is about. So pedestrians have the least responsibility to keep everyone safe because they are more at risk? Surely everyone should have the same responsibility.

Interesting oint @Ale, and I wonder if we'll see pedestrians just stepping out into traffic because they think it's the responsibility of cars etc to be aware of them and give way? What is said and what people think is said aren't always the same.

Reactions: Kite_Rider and MrA
IMG_20220125_061351.jpg
To me this is such a weird rule. Horse riders should be right up there with the highest amount of responsibility I would have thought.

A horse isn’t on a par with a lorry for the harm it could do, so I don’t see why it would be higher, it’s not even level with a car, they’re sentient and will try to avoid hitting anything in most cases. Cars and lorries can take out buildings, a horse wouldn’t.

I have had several pedestrians walk out without even looking this week, and I don’t normally, so I am inclined to think this change is influencing their behaviour already. Most were not at a side street junction, 2 were just crossing the middle of the high street. 1 on a side junction had his hood up and there is no way he could have looked before crossing because he turned the corner and went diagonally out across the road with his back to the junction, he just stepped out right in front of me. A couple more on side roads but not at the junction waiting to cross, just randomly crossed with little to no attention. I can definitely see kids struggling to understand the rules of the road now, and more accidents happening.

Horses can cause catastrophic accidents, just as cyclists and pedestrians can. I think the responsibility should just be equal for everyone to do all they can to reduce danger to all road users.
They can cause awful fatal accidents, but pitch a pedestrian vs a lorry (with nothing else involved) and who will come off worse, that’s the way it’s been decided.

newrider.com