New horse website

Horse Factbook

Jul 11, 2019
I’ve recently started a new horse related website called Horse Factbook (https://www.horsefactbook.com) and just wondered what you thought about it and if there’s anything in particular you’d like to see on it?

I only started it about four months ago so it’s early days but I just wondered what other people thought about it. You can be 100% honest, especially if you think it’s no good or could improve in any areas.

Thanks in advance

I’ve recently started a new horse related website called Horse Factbook (https://www.horsefactbook.com) and just wondered what you thought about it and if there’s anything in particular you’d like to see on it?

I only started it about four months ago so it’s early days but I just wondered what other people thought about it. You can be 100% honest, especially if you think it’s no good or could improve in any areas.

Thanks in advance
Hi. Just wondering are you UK or USA based? I've had a look and like the layout which is very easy on the eye. The articles are interesting and well written. It would be handy to have at the end of an article 'You might also be interested in this....' with related (ish) articles on your website to encourage further reading. A search option would also be good.

The links took a long time to load making me think it wasn't working at first and you do need someone to proof read it though as there were a few mistakes e.g.. 'I new someone' probably should have been 'I knew someone'? A lot more content would be great too. I also searched for 'Horse fact book' and as you might expect the results were a ton of actual books so the name might need changing.

I'm not super experienced but I did think you might want to add to your page about 'buying your First Horse' that when you ask the owners questions don't take their word for it but try out as much as you can e.g. quiet in traffic etc. I belong to a FB page Dodgy Horse Dealers and there are some horror stories on there of the porkies people will say to make a profit. Plus its a good idea to google the sellers name - if they are dodgy there might be reviews.

I hope I don't sound too harsh as I really liked the website. I found the articles easy to read and left me wanting more plus I learnt some new things too.

Good luck with it. I hope it is a success and I look forward to more articles!

Who is the target audience? is this a for profit venture or just something you are doing as a hobby? it has pretty similar content to a million other pages out there and will need frequent updating to keep it up to date and interesting.
I read a couple of the articles; preventing laminitis and preventing kicking, I'm afraid both left me feeling like they were incomplete, lots of explanation about what laminitis is and why a horse might kick but the prevention of lami really was absolute basics with little detail and the only suggestion to prevent kicking was to put chains on. I also read the 20 things to never feed your horse, which is good although I do not agree with your comments about bran, it is like many other feedstuffs that it is imbalanced but it can easily be balanced with a little basic knowledge
and be a beneficial feed (such as in our area it is used to aid in the prevention of sand colic)
. When you got onto what you should feed them all you mentioned was treats, there was zero mention that forage should make up most of the diet and what good forage is.

Hi. Just wondering are you UK or USA based? I've had a look and like the layout which is very easy on the eye. The articles are interesting and well written. It would be handy to have at the end of an article 'You might also be interested in this....' with related (ish) articles on your website to encourage further reading. A search option would also be good.

The links took a long time to load making me think it wasn't working at first and you do need someone to proof read it though as there were a few mistakes e.g.. 'I new someone' probably should have been 'I knew someone'? A lot more content would be great too. I also searched for 'Horse fact book' and as you might expect the results were a ton of actual books so the name might need changing.

I'm not super experienced but I did think you might want to add to your page about 'buying your First Horse' that when you ask the owners questions don't take their word for it but try out as much as you can e.g. quiet in traffic etc. I belong to a FB page Dodgy Horse Dealers and there are some horror stories on there of the porkies people will say to make a profit. Plus its a good idea to google the sellers name - if they are dodgy there might be reviews.

I hope I don't sound too harsh as I really liked the website. I found the articles easy to read and left me wanting more plus I learnt some new things too.

Good luck with it. I hope it is a success and I look forward to more articles!
Thank you for taking the time to look at the site, you're absolutely not being harsh at all and I appreciate your comments. I'll look at changing the buying a horse article to include your comments. I was worried about the speed of the site loading but didn't know if it was just me as all the speed tests came back as fast. Now I know it's something I need to sort out, thanks for letting me know it was a problem for you too

I tried to add two articles a week (although sometimes only one) so hopefully you'll have plenty to read in the future.

I'm based in the UK but would be interested in knowing where you thought I was based?

Who is the target audience? is this a for profit venture or just something you are doing as a hobby? it has pretty similar content to a million other pages out there and will need frequent updating to keep it up to date and interesting.
I read a couple of the articles; preventing laminitis and preventing kicking, I'm afraid both left me feeling like they were incomplete, lots of explanation about what laminitis is and why a horse might kick but the prevention of lami really was absolute basics with little detail and the only suggestion to prevent kicking was to put chains on. I also read the 20 things to never feed your horse, which is good although I do not agree with your comments about bran, it is like many other feedstuffs that it is imbalanced but it can easily be balanced with a little basic knowledge
and be a beneficial feed (such as in our area it is used to aid in the prevention of sand colic)
. When you got onto what you should feed them all you mentioned was treats, there was zero mention that forage should make up most of the diet and what good forage is.
At the moment it's just a hobby but to be honest I hadn't thought about the future plans - I just love horses and like writing about them.

Thank you for being honest and having reread both the articles I can see what you mean. I think I need to take some time to rewrite those.

I understand what you're saying about bran and although the article was only meant as a quick guide it should also be more informative.

Thank you for taking the time to have a look at the site, I appreciate it was well you being honest. Thank you

I'm based in the UK but would be interested in knowing where you thought I was based?
I presumed you were in the states because generally UK sites don't mention western curb bits or things like kicking chains, it does explain why the explanation of a curb bit was poor though.

I presumed you were in the states because generally UK sites don't mention western curb bits or things like kicking chains, it does explain why the explanation of a curb bit was poor though.
I love western myself, I've never tried it but love Appaloosas and want to try it one day. Was I way off with the explanation or just a little?

I love western myself, I've never tried it but love Appaloosas and want to try it one day. Was I way off with the explanation or just a little?
I competed in western fro over 10 years, in reining, pleasure and games, I also rode for a couple of months at a working ranch in Montana, but am UK based myself. A curb bit has a multi action; on the mouth (bars, tongue or roof depending on the mouthpiece), the curb and the poll. The poll is the lowest pressure, the curb and mouth pretty equal but it does depend a bit on what curb strap/chain you use. The leverage action actually multiplies what ever pressure the rider applies to the reins so much less rein pressure is needed to communicate the same message. If you are providing a page stating that it provides facts it is very important that you research thoroughly and fact check your information before publishing it.

I competed in western fro over 10 years, in reining, pleasure and games, I also rode for a couple of months at a working ranch in Montana, but am UK based myself. A curb bit has a multi action; on the mouth (bars, tongue or roof depending on the mouthpiece), the curb and the poll. The poll is the lowest pressure, the curb and mouth pretty equal but it does depend a bit on what curb strap/chain you use. The leverage action actually multiplies what ever pressure the rider applies to the reins so much less rein pressure is needed to communicate the same message. If you are providing a page stating that it provides facts it is very important that you research thoroughly and fact check your information before publishing it.
Thank you

newrider.com