Angie

Jan 12, 2019
I had my first fall today in canter. I’m feeling very sore but kind of relieved. I started learning to ride last March at the old age of 52. I was kind of dreading falling off as I knew it would happen at some point. A painful few days ahead I think

Hello and welcome!

Oh no that doesn't sound enjoyable, hopefully you are not too sore.

How do you feel getting back on once better? Hopefully hasn't knocked your confidence too much.

Welcome to NR :D

It's kind of good to get it out of the way I guess ;) Epsom salt baths are the best thing to prevent/relieve the battered feeling, and gentle movement, don't let your body seize up :)
I learnt to ride as a child and was told you had to fall off a hundred times to be a real rider, so I fell off a lot on my quest to achieve that :cool: I was given a grass inspector trophy by one place I holidayed at :D

Reactions: blazer
Welcome to NR, hope you are not too sore today.
It happens to us all and as my husband regularly points out 'horse riding is included in the top ten most dangerous sports!' I try really hard not to fall off these days, I don't bounce like I used too!
Blimey @Jessey I must be a really s**t rider if thats true, LOL, I can count on one hand the number of times Ive fallen off :oops:

Reactions: Jessey
Welcome to NR - this is a good forum for adult beginners. OH and i began in our 60s and it is a great pleasure. So dont be put off by your fall. I fell on average once a year while learning tho mostly from spooks by horses other than my own -

You say it was your first fall and it happened in canter - but dont fill in whether or not it was your first canter? Nor where you were cantering.

My slight concern is that older beginners are sometimes expected to canter quite soon and there is pressure to do so? I remember not being allowed to hack out or join a group class until I had learned to canter, and the result was to scare me out of my wits.

Let me assure you that there are ways of teaching canter to older riders that do not involve falling off - for instance with careful preparation and work on the lunge. I changed school and then learned to canter mostly on hacks where there are no school corners to unbalance one.

newrider.com