New rules on towing

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Anyone else seen this:

Licences issued from 19 January 2013
From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
trailers weighing more than 750kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg
If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.

You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.

Direct off the gov website

So this would mean they could tow one animal, you would need another test to carry two or tow the triple trailer?

No this means you effectively cannot tow any trailer carrying a horse. Sorry but I think this is a good thing!!

I have 'grandfather' rights to get in anything, tow and drive a 7.5 ton lorry and have done both but I am so impressed with skills that daughter learned doing towing and C test that I would now do neither without some further training

That's already the case isn't it. They brought that out back in 2007 didn't they?

My friend had to take a test to tow a trailer and she passed her test back in 2007.

I thought that was already the way it was since 1st January 1997. I can tow a caravan or trailer, but not my horse. Sucks! I don't think I can even do it with a L plate up because my dad has grandfather rights and didn't actually pass a trailer test so can't be my licensed driver supervising me.

You cannot tow any livestock when you are learning. I inquired about it when I was thinking about learning to tow. I shall be getting lessons for my 21st in March hopefully :)

No this is a change, there were complex rules about MAM which enabled people who didn't want to do a test to choose a tow car, down rate a trailer and put in lightweight horse. This is far more stringent

Flipos mum, a person with 'grandfather rights can still supervise you towing for B+E practice, they can no longer supervise you driving a 7.5 truck (C1)

Sunshine x that is not true...lots of people, my daughter included practised for their test while carrying horses

For what it is worth , my daughter towed for a season with me supervising then had a 1/2 day tuition before passing B+E. She did a C (HGV) test in 5 days with a trainer.Both convinced me that tests are beneficial.

This does sound better. Perhaps a lot of people just chose to carry a lightweight pony. This appears to close a loophole?

What about drivers and non hgv horse box, do they need this test to carry horses now?

Younger drivers ( mainly up to about 30, I can't remember the pass cut off date!!) need to pass a test before driving anything over 3.5 tons, hence the high price of little lorries!! The C1 ( 7.5t) test is identical to the C ( any rigid (old HGV) lorry ) so generally people are recommended to do the latter

My OH has grandfather rights as well on his license. I passed my test in Sep 98 but can tow a horse and have B+E on my license through a loop hole without having done the test. Wouldn't even know the weight of our trailer :unsure:

Younger drivers ( mainly up to about 30, I can't remember the pass cut off date!!) need to pass a test before driving anything over 3.5 tons, hence the high price of little lorries!! The C1 ( 7.5t) test is identical to the C ( any rigid (old HGV) lorry ) so generally people are recommended to do the latter

Age 33 all my mates at school were desperate to get through their tests before the laws changed. Sadly I turned 17 after the 1st January so missed it by a hairs breathe :-(.

Good to know about the l plate thing eml thanks. Actually it's been a long time since I looked but I have a feeling my dads car (double cab pick up), trailer and flipo the fatso might be over 3500kg.

EML I think it must be fairly new, but when I asked the DVLA and a towing instructor both said that I could not learn with a horse in the trailer? If I can thats great, will have a google.

Does that mean I could effectively tow mine?

If I had a 1500kg car, plus a 700kg trailer - ponies together a max of 450-500kg leaves enough room for me and tack etc?

I wouldn't as not confident, but in law is a HGv instructor so would mean he could teach me without me having to a test technically?!

EML I think it must be fairly new, but when I asked the DVLA and a towing instructor both said that I could not learn with a horse in the trailer? If I can thats great, will have a google.

I have found that the DVLA make things up depending on who you speak to.

I towed the horses under supervision of my mum before doing my actual test. There's nothing actually stated anywhere saying the trailer couldn't have livestock in it when practising only thing stated is you need to be supervised.

Unfortunately 750 is weight of trailer plus contents!!

Popularfurball, you cannot have a horse in when you do your test, but doesn't matter when practicing!

But doesn't the first part say that I can tow (weight of everything) 3.5k kg? So half weight for car and me and ponies and tack for 750kg (fairly easy) and a trailer at 700kg would bring me under both the 750kg trailer and the 3500kg rule!

You all need small ponies!!

PFB, This was how I first read it but it means the total (MAM) of the trailer not just the unladen weight plus your pony.

You need to look at the plate and see what the MAN is then get a car that will safely tow the MAM and then add the weights together.

Mine for example

Trailer MAN 2100 (ish) (900 for trailer + two 16.2 as that is what the trailer is made for £1100) regardless if I want to take two that is what I have to be able to tow.

Car must weigh unladen more than trailer so my car KIA is 2500 ish add the two 4600 well over the 3.5 limit but I am old so I can do it.

Under rules you can tow a 1 horse trailer with a small pony in a car but the car would still have to weigh at least 1800 to pull safely (IMO) and the total MAN not over 3.5

what a confusing mine field !

Fliposmum - I am the same 33, and missed it by a matter of weeks.. however in my ignorance I was happily towing allsorts soon as I had my test, until some years later I found out about the restrictions :unsure: oops! Anyway I keep meaning to do my test must get round to it as I hope to get to some shows this year.

Out of interest how much is the test itself?

So if I had someone in the car with me legally entitled to tow.. I could tow a horse in trailer if I had L plates on then ?

PFB, This was how I first read it but it means the total (MAM) of the trailer not just the unladen weight plus your pony.

You need to look at the plate and see what the MAN is then get a car that will safely tow the MAM and then add the weights together.

Mine for example

Trailer MAN 2100 (ish) (900 for trailer + two 16.2 as that is what the trailer is made for £1100) regardless if I want to take two that is what I have to be able to tow.

Car must weigh unladen more than trailer so my car KIA is 2500 ish add the two 4600 well over the 3.5 limit but I am old so I can do it.

Under rules you can tow a 1 horse trailer with a small pony in a car but the car would still have to weigh at least 1800 to pull safely (IMO) and the total MAN not over 3.5

LOL Im having an "I need sleep day"... I read that as towing one horse in a trailer, and a pony in your car :bounce::yellowcarded: Rascal would fit in my car too so perfectly feasible.

I guess legally then if I found a light enough trailer, I could tow either of mine (he is 150kg, she is 250-300kg), though the sheer lightness of the trailer would bother me somewhat if we hit bad weather :unsure:

newrider.com