New saddle help desp needed!

happyhacker101

Mar 19, 2007
scotland
Any ideas/help would be much appreciated .....

Archie has been ridden in a T4 for the last 18 months but I decided to treat him to a new made to measure saddle, the saddler came out today with his lovely new saddle, so I popped on and within two mins he kicked out and i even felt his fronts come up off the ground. Archie may be a lot of things but this isnt normal for him.

I did have a different saddle pad underneath - untacked and then tried his normal saddle - he went better but then did a tiny cow kick so i jumped off. I have phoned the woman who does his back to get her to check him over, i rode him yesterday and he was fine but, I used a thicker pad which is what he is used to....

saddler and I think its using a thinner pad that has caused a reaction but I'm unwilling to get back on a try a thicker pad until the back lady has had a look at him.

So, would a different pad caused such a reaction?

sounds like something isnt right with the saddle tbh. I'd be getting that looked at before I committed to taking the saddle. Whatever you do, dont use it till his back's been checked - so the fitter cant say its been used and its not their fault!

If the saddle is fitted correctly with the thinner pad then putting a thick pad on will stop it fitting (think thick socks with your usual shoes you wear with tights say) so be wary if they insist thats the answer.

Do not buy that saddle. A saddle should fit the horses back without a pad (originally pads where only used to keep the saddle clean) a thick pad will lift the saddle off the back and caused tightness around the shoulds etc as you now have a lots of material between the saddle and the back.

As said think of a made to measure bra (you dont get measured with your jumper on) you get measure it fits perfectly and but when you go to wear it you out a jumper on underneath it. now it is tight and uncomfortable.

Hope you get it sorted

It's ok, the saddler has taken the saddle back with him for now - he seems very decent so will hopefully continue to be helpful, has said that if its a fitting issue then he'll refund my deposit

The lady who does Archies back is in the area so is popping over in the next hour or so to see if she can see anything wrong and once I know he's ok then I shall try his normal saddle again and see if there's a reaction.

ETA - the shoulder tightness is the problem with his original saddle.

Last edited:
newrider.com