New sharer and anorexia, advice please

Sounds as though you and ziggy will be fab for her!

A couple of years ago I agreed to take on a shared with autistic problems. The dr has diagnosed her with asbergers but it's not official because she has what they call selective mutism and shuts down when being asked questions she feels uncomfortable with. So they can't actually give her a proper official diagnosis.

I've to the best of my ability treated her like normal whilst understanding there are days when the bare minimum is possible from her. In the early days she would shut down and some of it was more to do with her age and attitude than her own issues, but the situation would seem worse to her because of those issues which would cause the shut down.

Anyway fast forward nearly 3 years now and I've stuck with her and she with me and we've really turned a corner. She's about to leave school and has massively grown up, which has helped her cope better with her issues and she's able to start recognising that she needs to push her self a little more.

As she's grown up she's been given more reaponsibilty at the yard and it's been amazing for her confidence.

We've recently had a small influx of new people at the yard. 3 years ago this would have caused a meltdown and she would have really withdrawn.

But with the younger sharers they've been told she is in charge when I'm not around. She knows me my way of working and what I expect and they're to follow her lead. This has been great for her.

I've allowed for her bad days, but shown I won't let it become and excuse. I have been able to learn when it's her being a moody mare and when it's her having a bad day.

She now opens up to me too which is huge. This has all started happening gradually over the last 18 months but since Christmas especially. Last night she talked through her college things and worries with me. She's going to do horse care and needs a reference etc.

Whilst obviously it's very different to anorexia it's similar in that they want to feel normal. So treating her normal and just being there if they need to talk or want to. Don't overly encourage any talking about things but patiently listen if they start to open up.

M has been a massive learning curve for me and it hasn't been easy at times. Made harder by having to learn what was attitude and what was genuine lol! But I've always maintained that if she tries something for me I will never be cross if she just doesn't even try then she is best of turning round and going home.

This involved quite a few stand offs in the early days but within 6 months she figured out I was way more stubborn than she was lol!! She got sent home quite a lot in the early days. Now when she scowls at me I just scowl back and off she goes to do what I asked lol!

I think that it is lovely of you - if you dont need the money from a share and want Ziggy to be occupied from time to time. My own share started like that at the time I was recovering from an op. and not up to lessons. Allowing someone to play around with a horse is a remedy for all sorts of things. But there was no guarantee I would ever get better, Health is not guaranteed. So all you can do is let things take their course.

Just be aware that anorexia is an addiction and like all addicts, sufferers can be manipulative and controlling. It's great to help people and if you're able to stay at arm's length, that's great, but personally I would be wary of getting involved in someone else's problems. I would struggle if I had to watch someone starve themselves - I couldn't deal with that actually. But if you can cope with it, fair play to you!

Well, it's going ok from my perspective.

L piggybacked on my lesson today - ideal for me as I am so unfit that I was finished after 30 mins. She was very, very, very scared but rode well and my RI helped her loads. By the end of the lesson she trotted and her fear levels had gone down from 8.5/10 to 2/10, hurrah! Plus my RI says she is an excellent rider with a "neat seat".

We walked my dogs afterwards and she was upfront about the anorexia. Being sectioned for anorexia sounds grim: fortunately it is something I can be 99.9999999999% confident will never happen to me! She is dead keen to go on working with Ziggy and I have left the ball in her court and offered her to share my lessons from here on in. Ziggy likes her and went very very gently for her as if she were a little kid so that was sweet. I can be sure he will gleam as one of her symptoms is perfectionism and she likes to groom, so I expect to see him sparkling from my bedroom window!

I think she is very fortunate to have found you and Ziggy, Jane. This might well be the start of a new beginning for her, and as she progresses, hopefully a happy helper for you with Ziggy as she progresses.:)

She is likely to be on a strict meal plan which says that if she refuses food she will have to restrict activities to compensate. So Ziggy may well be a huge incentive for her to follow a recovery plan if she knows she will only be able to help with him if she is following her plan. Ziggy the therapy pony!!

newrider.com