New (to me) harness - video added

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I picked up a 2nd hand webbing harness for Hank, the cheapie leather one was fine for long lining but I didn't want to put too in it as a breaking harness would not be cracky and I won't spend out on a zilco until I know it will get enough use. I think its a libby's harness.

I'd appreciate any thoughts from our driving pro's, the breastplate seems to come a bit further back than I'm used to, but I've only ever driven 15hh plus who have more shoulder room to play with and the breeching seemed a little short? Also the browband is too small and pulls the blinkers forwards so I took it off and that seems good, but is there a good reason for a browband on a blinkered bridle?
IMG_20160402_125716.JPG

I'll be interested in the responses about the browband, because the bridle on Ziggy's new harness is too narrow for his broad forehead which means the blinkers are too tight so we were wondering what to do about that!

Reactions: Jessey
I'll be interested in the responses about the browband, because the bridle on Ziggy's new harness is too narrow for his broad forehead which means the blinkers are too tight so we were wondering what to do about that!
If it NEEDS a browband I will just buy a bigger size but if it doesn't its easier as all that forelock gets in the way :p

Reactions: orbvalley
remember you need bridle rosettes on a set of harness to keep the browband in place. just get the next size up if needs be....or down if its baggy

remember you need bridle rosettes on a set of harness to keep the browband in place. just get the next size up if needs be....or down if its baggy
Do I need a browband at all tho @Wally ? Is there a reason for it? The top straps on the blinkers would stop the bridle going backwards.

I know nothing about driving but he looks so chilled and like a pro in that video. Testament to your skillful handling I'm sure. He's looking so well, I love his shiny tail!

We had a little walk about in it too, tomorrow my broom handle shafts and tyre will go out for a walk :p
With a driving bridle the browband with rosettes plays a role in securing the blinkers to the side of the face.

The winker stays at the top of the bridle are there to anchor the winkers, If the bridle slips back it will pull the blinkers tight into his eyes and rub him. If it's too loose the blinkers can be rubbed back on themselves and might allow the pony sights he not used to
What I do with massive amounts of forelock is put the bridle over the whole forelock so it's under the browband, then split it in two and put each half over the top of the blinker between the blinker stay and cheek.

Just a word of advice, when he's walking leave him to walk , don't keep telling him to do what he's already doing. it can turn driving horses off to the voice. I know you want to encourage him, but tell him his a good boy, if he walking don't tell him to walk on. My driving instructor uses walk on and trot on, for change of gait then for wore walk and lengthening the strides she used trot OUT, and walk OUT. and make it very clear that a lengthened stride is required.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate your comments @Wally he was on a super go slow yesterday, the first few laps before the video he kept stopping trying to sneak some of that lovely green grass, once we are on the roads and tracks he walks out much nicer and I don't feel the need to nag him :p I will watch myself tho :)

newrider.com