New Treeless Saddle Suggestions Please :)

Vicki100

Jun 12, 2009
West Mids
Okay you treeless saddle gurus i need your suggestions.

Im already pestering PFB with questions so i thought why not bug you all?? :mstickle:

Right so ive had my Libra Trec & HAF Combination for nearly a year now, it has done a great job for both me and ponio most of the time :happy:

It has been a fab starter saddle but im looking to move up a notch as the libra is causing a few issues now.

The past year ive only used it for light hacking/occasional schooling so it has served its purpose very well.

But now that i am riding every night after work its starting to get less suitable.
I am working him quite hard every night in walk/trot/canter and we are jumping 2foot ish at the mo.

The pommel is now starting to dig into my thigh (its a fibre glass pommel i think??) the longer/more i ride the more i am noticing it. (Never really noticed before)

Also having major slipping issues, finnley has lost alot of weight due to the work increase so he isnt really a table top pony anymore, so the saddle doesnt seem to sit on top of him nicely anymore.
No matter how tightly i do the girth up it still slips from side to side doing canter work, circling, jumping....anything with quite sharp corners.
Well saying that it does it cantering along in a straight line too.

I want to stay treeless desperatly as he is really happy in his current one.

But i want somthing more traditional looking now, somthing that he could be shown in, somthing with knee blocks, somthing better for jumping etc

My budget is £400 MAX.

HELP :biggrin:

The pale pic on the left is my piccy as i tested the prototype. It was between that and the Freeform, Freeform being over your budget by about £150 i think. You could look into secondhand though.

If you're willing to consider secondhand you may be able to pick up a Freeform or Heather Moffett treeless/soft treed for that price.

Or you could look for a nice synthetic treed saddle like a Saddle Company or Thorowgood. I really liked my Saddle Company saddle and Dolly went just as well (if not better) in it than she did in her previous Freeform.

Thanks dollysmum!

I think i am going to go down the treed route again, i cant find a treeless that i like tbh.

Love the saddle company saddles, they are gorgues saddles, hoping poohsmate can fit me one when he visits next week.

How much are they do you know?
X

I bought mine secondhand (but pretty much immaculate and barely used) on Ebay for £270 then paid a Saddle Company fitter £20 to widen it to fit Dolly.

I have the same thigh problem, and I am arguably to big for the saddle though I don't have any bum on cantle.

The problem is intermittent for us too and I can't work out what changes to cause it.

Anything digging in i'd likely say that the seat size area is not big enough.

Also why i liked the Freeform as i put on the seat size i required onto the base.

Are you tipping forwards, that question to either of you?

HAve you thought about the Cashel as i do know an adult riding a small pony in this as it just moulds to pony and bottom.

Its hard to describe NF

I havent noticed it really until i started going on long hacks and doing more schooling.

Its almost as if the pommel goes back further than it looks.
My bottom is central in saddle, sitting upstraight and yet i can feel somthing dig into both thigh. Very odd.

:unsure:

Its wierd how a bit of weight loss can suddenly make it slip all over the place.
Last night it was going from side to side, and then ended up on his shoulders way to far foward.
Have never had such slippage issues with it before!

His shape has changed from what i can tell, he used to have the table top wide barrel body now its still wide but no barrel tummy and no table top.
It doesnt seem to 'sit' on him nicely anymore!

I have ordered a wintec pony dressage saddle with changable gullet Which Poohsmate is going to fit next week.
Hoping it will fit him well as it looks lovleeeey! :smug:

Libra and HAF will be going on ebay if it does, do they hold there value quite well??

newrider.com