Newly broken pony

jodiana

Feb 15, 2012
Hi guys ive owned a Welsh sec a for 3 years now, I got him from a friend who raised him from foal, he's now rising 6, he is such the sweetest friendly little guy, at first I thought he would be a fab companion for my mare, they are best of friends, over the last 2 years he's been very well handled groomed by children, ive lunged him, long reined him never really at the thought of breaking to ride, but I look at him and part of me feels his pointental is wasted, so I have decided to put him to work, we have done join up free schooling, with & with out tack, a couple of weeks ago introduced some weight on his back his reaction was amazing, over the last 2 weeks he has accepted rider on and off lead rein he is halting and turning doing circles he responds well to voice commands, ive no experience in breaking ponys so what should I do now? My daughter is now 8yrs of age and i would like to think he may be a great pony for her but as its only been 2 weeks im reluctant to let her on him, how will I no he is ready? he does still get a little anxious under saddle but this is only when the horses in the field are running, Ive been taking everything slow & steady for him and I'm a bit unsure how far to push him has any one got any advice? Ps he has not once bucked bolted or reared under saddle I keep waiting for some kind of reaction but he just takes it all in his stride he loves the attention

I'm sure there are other answers out there, but if it were me, I'd just continue doing what you're doing. It sounds as though he's happy and comfortable with the things you have introduced so far. Progress nice and slowly, staying in walk until he feels confident to move up a gear.
When he gets distracted by other horses etc, don't stop working, just give him plenty of quiet direction in a job he knows well until he starts to relax again, and then move on to the next thing. He sounds like a good sort

I agree with what others have said. I have a Welsh D who is 4 that I am in the process of backing and he hasn't once had any sort of adverse reaction to having weight on his back/pressure on his side/pressure in the mouth, I think the long reining is a wonderful way of introducing them to it and IMO if introduced the right way, taking your time they shouldn't really 'explode' at any point. In fact I think it's better for them not to learn that they can be naughty under saddle!

newrider.com