no how much you think you know a horse they can still be unpredictable

RayRay

Jan 8, 2017
so today at my ridng lesson i lose my struup. whele troting and when changeing to get iy back at a walk May(the horse i ride regularly) deciided that she would sort of trot off all of a suddent she was nver done that before not with me on her anyway. I'm actually surprised I mange to stay on for all of it( i difenllty though i was going to full of at one point) I was riding withou wiyhout rains at this point in the lesson.

Oh yes, they sure are unpredictable! You always need to keep your wits about you.

Well done for staying on.

it was probelly compleically my flaut i was probelly doing somyjing she didi't like well I lost my stuup becasue of my feet(still need to get those sorted before i can move up a grade aprtenlly my rising is actuly really good)

I bought a nice, bombproof, predictable horse. For 3 months I felt so safe on him, he was just gorgeous, kind, calm, predictable, lovely.

Then he fractured his leg. 6 weeks of box rest. Then I was supposed to walk him for 4 weeks. We managed 2 weeks of walking before he put me on the floor twice. So we trotted a bit after that. After he was back out in the field, he was much more sensible again.

Then spring happened, and he tanked off with me in the cornfield (he wanted a gallop, I said no, he did not respect my decision and did it anyway).

Then we had a hack where he had been in for a few days because he had mud fever, he used another horse as his brakes - flat out gallop (thought I was going to die) but he regained composure.

Then we had a solo hack out where we had (in no particular order), squealing, bronking, napping, front feet off the ground, spinning, spooking at land rovers, litter, fences, and general disobedience.

I’ve become a better rider so I can laugh it off now (and call him every name under the sun) but if it had happened within the first 3 months I’d have cried and been scared and vowed never ever to hack out ever again ever, and wondered what on Earth I had bought.

Instead I’m planning a hack tomorrow to have a gallop in the cornfield and maybe do a couple of the XC jumps in the woods. :D

Well done for staying on however you managed it!

Reactions: carthorse
I bought a nice, bombproof, predictable horse. For 3 months I felt so safe on him, he was just gorgeous, kind, calm, predictable, lovely.

Then he fractured his leg. 6 weeks of box rest. Then I was supposed to walk him for 4 weeks. We managed 2 weeks of walking before he put me on the floor twice. So we trotted a bit after that. After he was back out in the field, he was much more sensible again.

Then spring happened, and he tanked off with me in the cornfield (he wanted a gallop, I said no, he did not respect my decision and did it anyway).

Then we had a hack where he had been in for a few days because he had mud fever, he used another horse as his brakes - flat out gallop (thought I was going to die) but he regained composure.

Then we had a solo hack out where we had (in no particular order), squealing, bronking, napping, front feet off the ground, spinning, spooking at land rovers, litter, fences, and general disobedience.

I’ve become a better rider so I can laugh it off now (and call him every name under the sun) but if it had happened within the first 3 months I’d have cried and been scared and vowed never ever to hack out ever again ever, and wondered what on Earth I had bought.

Instead I’m planning a hack tomorrow to have a gallop in the cornfield and maybe do a couple of the XC jumps in the woods. :D

Well done for staying on however you managed it!

Well i troted with no reins again in same lesson. So omlo really pharsed me for a little bit. Saying that I had to Trot with no riens as my insuctor told me too

Tell me about it!

I love my horse and know her pretty well now, but she still decides she just isn't going to listen to me and is going to do her own thing every now and then - last time, at fence 3 at a hunter trial, where she decided to ditch me! Mind you, my kids are exactly the same!

It isnt easy to trot without reins - but important while learning - because then you cant use the reins to balance yourself.
But did your RI show you how to stop a horse - just walk to halt, without using the reins. That is important too.

I am worried that you still lose your stirrups and the worry is always about your legs.

It might be better to forget about your legs and just let them hang and think instead about your seat. When the horse moves you should be able to feel the side to side movement through your seat. Thinking about what you can feel through your seat will help you breathe deeply and relax and your legs will drop better into the stirrups.

Reactions: HaloHoney
Well done for staying on board. Don't worry too much about it - you probably just nudged the horse with your stirrupless foot and she thought you meant her to trot on! Easily done when you are learning. There's so much to think about. Even very steady RS horses can sometimes decide to do what they fancy! One of my regular rides decided to trot off when I was half-way on once.Luckily I did have my reins gathered up so I was able to get him back to me despite not having stirrups. They keep you on your toes. ,

You'll get there.

newrider.com