No Longer an Absolute Beginner!

wanabe

Apr 8, 2005
Pine Forests of Southeast Texas
I had my 26th 1-hour private lesson today (not counting a couple of rainy-day barn lessons). To me, this is a significant number because if they had taken place on schedule, it would mean I've been taking lessons for 6 months now.

I also had my first fall today!! :( It was an easy one, I just kind of slid off while trotting without stirrups. I've done this before, but today I got unbalanced right away and never recovered -- my horse interpreted my bouncing around as a signal to speed up. :rolleyes: Anyway, as I went down I felt no fear -- just embarassment -- "Oh no, I'm falling off in front of my RI!" I landed on my hip mainly, as well as my buttock and shoulder. Unfortunately, that soft arena sand felt harder than I had hoped. I'm afraid this 57 year-old body is going to be in big trouble if I ever take a serious fall. :(

I also got my foot stepped on well and truly before the lesson -- not just on the toes which has happened before, but right on top of the foot. Thank heavens for boots!!

Last edited:
Yeah, I wondered about that you 14 year-old, you!

skib -- I don't think a body-protector would have helped in this case. :(

I'm finding (even though it's noon here) that Excedrin, scotch, and soda are helping quite a bit!

Well done for your riding, body protector is a must though, I always wear mine, I am 51 and dont bounce like I used to, there not the b all and end all but they do help a lot with certain falls, mine has shoulder pads as well.

Iloveshearer, who says you can't post in the mature riders section? It's only there so you 14 year olds don't have to listen to us moaning about aching joints and so on - but you're welcome if you want to!

Well done wanabe - 26 lessons sounds an awful lot from the lowly position of 6! However my New Year resolution is to make up for lost time and have as many lessons as I can afford :D

pedantic said:
Well done for your riding, body protector is a must though, I always wear mine, I am 51 and dont bounce like I used to, there not the b all and end all but they do help a lot with certain falls, mine has shoulder pads as well.

thats exactly what my mum says!!!! she rekons you bounce when you are younger, more like *THUD* :eek:

Happy half-anniversity, sort of, in your riding lessons:D

Kidding aside, it does sound like things are coming along well. The first fall is always, as has been noted, a good thing to have behind you. Some people find that they are actually a little LESS fearful after their first fall.

Now, go enjoy your scotch. I hope your aches & pains go away quickly.

RustyMary said:
Well done wanabe - 26 lessons sounds an awful lot from the lowly position of 6! However my New Year resolution is to make up for lost time and have as many lessons as I can afford :D

I took part of last summer's vacation through Slovenia -- where are you living? Have you been to Lipiza (sp?)?

And I'm up from my scotch-induced nap and *very* sore now -- I'm interested in seeing how big a bruise I develop! I'm also eager for my next lesson day-after-tomorrow! :)

Hi Wanabe, we're in NW Slovenia, in the Kranjska Gora area. It's stunning! Haven't been to Lipica (spelt with 'c', but pronounced 'Lip eet sa' as if it was a 'z') yet, definitely hoping to go this year though - another resolution! We saw the Lipica horses when they came to Bled in May and they were fabulous :eek: :eek: ! What did you think of Slovenia? Where did you go?

You missed some of the best bits. Generally Slovenia is still unspoilt by graffiti or anything else, there's still a sense of community here that has certainly been lost in Britain. It's one of the reasons I love living here - long may it last :)

Sorry to hear you had a fall, at least it wasn't to ungraceful. Hope the bruising isn't too bad. Congratulations on achieving your 26th lesson, here's to many more. L
PS I'm still here chewing the fat with this wretched broken leg.

So if you fall of 7 times you are a good rider? :confused: LOL I ain't fell of yet either......so....hmm....nice comment....NOT! LOL :p

newrider.com