No longer riding :(

FudgieFoo

Mar 11, 2005
nr. Hemel Hempstead, Herts
Hi

Up until the end of May this year I was competiting my mare at dressage every other week, having lessons every week and riding practically every day, loving every minute of it!

At the end of May she went lame (arthritis) and is still lame now. I have decided, with the encouragement of my vets, to rest her for a year and put her into foal.

As a result I haven't ridden since my horse has been off except for 15 mins on my friend's horse which I didn't enjoy.

When I text my instructor to tell her what was happening she asked me if I was planning to get anything on loan and I hadn't really thought about it.

Lots of people have offered me rides but I haven't jumped at the chance. Quite the opposite all I've done is said thanks and left it at that.

I could never have imagined not riding for so long but I have no interest in doing so.

What is wrong with me????!!!!

Last edited:

Colour_Crazy_Gi

«.zσℓα.»
Mar 17, 2006
Bucks
Aww, if your vet reccomends it, then its the best thing to do. I hope the foal doesnt get affected by your mares' lameness. Good luck!

^_^pEpPeRpOt^_^

Sep 26, 2004
Visit site
I've been through the same kind of thing recently, my mare went out of work about 9/10 months ago now was on field rest from november till april but still not sound so like you was advised by my vet to put her in foal, which we have done, well she isnt actually in foal has just gone to stud for the third time :rolleyes:

But at first i was bothered by not riding but then after a month just didnt feel like it anymore, and wasnt bothered if i rode or not. It passed eventually though and now i'm back riding loads, bringing on a 4yr old highland i might be buying :D

If you dont feel like riding now then just leave it, and if later on you feel like it then book a lesson or something :) and good luck with your mare :)

bexj

May 8, 2002
Penistone
www.mollycob.blogspot.com
Hey what's the rush - if you don't feel like riding, then don't! Simple - you ride for pleasure don't you - if you aren't getting pleasure from riding, then don't ride! Spend some quality time with your poorly mare, enjoy her! Or, alternatively why don't you see about booking a hack out in a different area somewhere, or trying a new discipline, such as Western or driving or something?

FudgieFoo

Mar 11, 2005
That's how I feel poohsmate. I just don't have the heart. My friend has offered me her NF x to compete but she is so green and I spent 12 years getting mine how I want her and I just don't have the enthusiasm to start from scratch and on someone elses

Doubt I'll be able to compete her again. Might get her hacking in a year

Gimp

Gimpy Gimp Gimp
Jan 19, 2005
I bought my filly after I lost my old chap, and spent 12-18 months not riding simply spending quailty time with her. Since selling her and moving house I thought about hanging my boots up as it broke my heart when I had to part with her (due to a divorce and house move)

Since getting back on track I went for a Great Beach ride locally, and a lesson here and there and i decided to get back into it!!

Point is anyway.. that I think just as much quality time can be spent wether you are on the ground or aboard.. Just be around horses makes me happy!

JOJOBA

Fluffy Bunny, apparently
Im sure it will come back. I dont like the idea of riding at all at the moment, but people keep asking me to - my yard wanted to give me a lesson next week but I said no. I might go for the odd hack maybe but I dont want to start properly riding another horse anytime soon.
It's just not the same is it?
However as a lot of people have said, the longer I leave it the harder it will be to start again, so maybe we should have the occasional sit on and see what happens. Maybe one day soon we'll get on and not want to get off, and we'll have been sucked back in!

Hope it works out for you

Jo
xxx

FudgieFoo

Mar 11, 2005
Thanks guys.

Jo your right its just not the same. I'm lucky to still see Fudge every day and there is the possibility that some time down the line I'll get back riding her.

My friend has offered me her horse this weekend. I said I'd try my best. I explained to her from the beginning why I kept saying no or just not making it. She understands enough to keep asking though others don't so I've lost some opportunities already :(