No more haylage for our gang

Smartie14

Nov 11, 2013
Wales
We have recently changed to haylage for our 3 horses this winter......well what a nightmare.....they have all gone nuts!! rode on Sunday and yesterday and both mares and gelding were dizzy to say the least. We have decided to revert back to hay, and luckily our supplier of the haylage is willing to take it back from us:smile:.....i suppose all horses are different. We did introduced gradually and did lots of research, but just not right for them.

Mine's the same. He can tolerate a little bit of haylage but too much and he just goes OTT. He's even worse with alfalfa and linseed.

Did you have an exciting ride on Sunday? :giggle:

Neither Joe, Storm or Chloe are any different off hayledge - and we used to give Joe the really rich stuff! He was quite bonkers to begin with but it didn't make him worse. Storm's fine off it - just too fattening for her. They're all different aren't they?!

Some of the horses here are on haylage, mine just absorbs any calories from the air particles-thats as near as she is going to get to any! Too much energy content, though depends on when farmer actually cut it though.

Well.....our gang have been back on the hay for a week and what a difference!!!!! little darlings over the weekend.....definately no more haylage!

newrider.com