Non paying sales livery

SMIKO

Jan 4, 2019
Hello,
I have taken a pony in on sales livery for a friend (so no contract) he has been with me for a few months but the owner retained the passport. He has a sore back that needs looking at. She is refusing to have it done. I cannot sell or work him with a sore back. She hasnt paid me since i have had him which means i can't pay the yard owner. What are my rights can i sell him to recover the money?
Thanks

Send him back and don't get involved with any sales livery if you do not own the land.
He is on loan to you technically, so you owe the yard owner the livery. They are the ones I believe that can sell to recover costs, not you.
I am surprised the agreement isn't directly with them in regards to the livery. My yard wouldn't permit me to have anything here and them not get paid.
Get a contract regardless of who it is.
Good luck with getting the money, but return as is and chalk up as an experience.

Yes the yard owner still needs payment regardless of the financial situation the person has put you in. I think you will most likely have to straighten up your livery bill and then try and recoup the money from the person who owns the pony. If it has been staying there under your name and not theirs.

How can you sell him to recover costs? You said you can’t sell him as he’s got a sore back that owner won’t treat.
Send him back to your friend ASAP.

If there's no contract it's likely on you to pay the livery bill and you'll have very little recourse against the owner if the verbal deal was you sold the horse to get paid as you haven't sold the horse. Choices are return the horse and cut your losses or you fork out to get its back looked at and then sell it and cover your costs. Really before you do anything you should seek legal advice, your horse insurance normally provides this as part of standard cover.

newrider.com