nose bands?

cassiebird

Jul 4, 2009
hertfordshire
Im probably really stupid but what do nosebands do? Cass has a lovely bridle with a crank, cushioned noseband but she absoloutely hates me messing around with it so now using a bridle with no noseband. I much prefer it, she appreciates the fact that im not pulling on her beard while trying to do it up, but not really sure why its there. Sorry if im missing something really obvious:redface:

Cavessons are just there for cosmetic purposes, to improve the look. Hence the different styles of cavesson noseband for different types of horse (show hacks, show cobs) in showing classes.

Or so I believe anyway! I ride without a noseband too, even though the noseband is a lovely brass inlay job that matches the browband.

As above. We didnt use one on a standard bridle, but so now as we have a combination bridle - so it doubles as a headcollar for leading. It doesn't stop her opening mouth though it's as loose as a headcollar :)

Just a thought for the OP.
You mention your horse being unhappy when you do up noseband (I'm presuming a cavesson, maybe with a flash ?)

Have you had your horse's teeth checked recently because the action of tightening the noseband could push cheeks onto sharp teeth.
You could also be tightening the noseband too tightly - remember you should be able to comfortable fit 2 fingers between horse's face and noseband. I should maybe be more specific in that you should be able to fit the fingers on top of the nose on the boney part, for example, and not on the fleshy bit on the side as some people tend to think :rolleyes:

As for the purpose, it depends on the noseband.
A cavesson can be used for decoration or for attaching standing martingale, the grakle can lessen how much a horse crosses it's jaw, the kineton can give you extra brakes by adding nose pressure ...

IMO alot of people use nosebands to mask problems instead of looking into the real cause (ie teeth, bit not adapted for horse, hand too heavy, etc)

The cavesson I use on Joy is just for show. She has a long face and looks better with a nose band. It doesn't do anything though as it isn't done up tight enough. Her tack fits, she's happy and comfortable in her work and I'm not asking for a lot from her for her to need to evade.

There are certain nosebands designed to keep the horse from opening the mouth as an evasion. They each work in a slightly different way.

Yes, I agree - a cavesson to me just improves the appearance of some heads, and serves no other purpose. I hate this fashion for flash nosebands which doesn't seem to be going away any time soon - I'm betting 99% of horses don't need one (mine's one of the 1% that do, as she gets her tongue over the bit but since she had her teeth sorted I'm trying to convince her that she doesn't need it any more though she's happier with it!), but it's nigh on impossible to buy a bridle without one these days.

One of the girls on our yard insists on doing up a cavesson within an inch of its life, and criticises anyone who doesn't - "That noseband's not doing anything!" - but it isn't meant to!!!

Just a thought for the OP.
You mention your horse being unhappy when you do up noseband (I'm presuming a cavesson, maybe with a flash ?)

Have you had your horse's teeth checked recently because the action of tightening the noseband could push cheeks onto sharp teeth.
You could also be tightening the noseband too tightly - remember you should be able to comfortable fit 2 fingers between horse's face and noseband. I should maybe be more specific in that you should be able to fit the fingers on top of the nose on the boney part, for example, and not on the fleshy bit on the side as some people tend to think :rolleyes:

As for the purpose, it depends on the noseband.
A cavesson can be used for decoration or for attaching standing martingale, the grakle can lessen how much a horse crosses it's jaw, the kineton can give you extra brakes by adding nose pressure ...

IMO alot of people use nosebands to mask problems instead of looking into the real cause (ie teeth, bit not adapted for horse, hand too heavy, etc)

Hi, It just a basic cavesson. I know the reason she fidgets is because she has got rather a long beard which i often ended up pulling on or getting it caught while doing the crank bit up, and i always ensured it wasnt too tight. Never ever used a flash on her and her teeth were done at end of September. So all good. :redface:

I too much prefer not to faff around with it so will carry on using the other bridle. Thanks for all your help:smile:

Some horses play with there bit too much to the point that they get there tongue over the top of it. Noseband therefore helps to keep mouth shut to reduce the chance of this happening. Some horses just seem to have an elastic tongue for tongue twisting.

have you tried just clipping her beard? if it is only that that is bothering her, it might be an option? up to you of course, and no need to if she is happy without :)

have you tried just clipping her beard? if it is only that that is bothering her, it might be an option? up to you of course, and no need to if she is happy without :)

Im building up to the trimming/clipping :redface: In all honesty she seems fine without the noseband so will leave her with a beard through the winter and then see how we get on:biggrin:

aww, I'm sure she will prefer a beard in this weather!! glad to hear the 'no noseband' approach is working well :) I have my lad in a dr cook bitless, but I think I will have to go back to bit and no noseband as he justs loves moving his mouth and yawning, and it fustrates him being in a noseband ::)

newrider.com