not a lot of genuine riding horses for the middle market in france

thefrenchside

Aug 14, 2011
Well there is but you have either young stock up north or rescues and trumatised horses.not much in the middle, with alot of time and keeping an eye maybe something.its just they are not as avalible as uk my french is limited at the moment.
I went to view a young cob x but she was standing 15.2 at 2 and a half yrs old and i fear shes going to be to big for me anyway.she is a loan horse with a french equivilant of rspca but i dont want to hand her back after 2 yrs saying shes to much horse, will have to think about it. im only 8st and 5ft4.
This is going to take lots of time but luckily i have got lots of work to do so it will keep me sidetracked for a bit.
I dont like to search for things as you never find it, bit like you go into a shop and come out with other stuff but the thing you went in for.

There seem to be plenty of ads about ... I could help with the French, if you like.

I have not seen any can u recommed any sites to see? I keep coming across studs with expensive horses on it, lusitanos and warmbloods etc.
Thanks with the offer of translating. I am still in process of learning the language.!

I just googled acheter cheval france and it came up with about a dozen sites. I didn't know what you were looking for, so I tried selle français, which is a riding horse type, and there seemed to be plenty ... What are you looking for.

I just googled acheter cheval france and it came up with about a dozen sites. I didn't know what you were looking for, so I tried selle français, which is a riding horse type, and there seemed to be plenty ... What are you looking for.

Hi, had a look following your advise, i dont know why i was bashing the english google for.
was looking for an experienced horse really to enjoy now, and found a lovely type called camargue, a trekking type pony thats tough but really pretty, have a look see what u think seeing as you have helped me out,.type in www.cheval 87.jimdo.com the first section. ise of pure pesquet camargue 15.
many thanks.

Hi, had a look following your advise, i dont know why i was bashing the english google for.
was looking for an experienced horse really to enjoy now, and found a lovely type called camargue, a trekking type pony thats tough but really pretty, have a look see what u think seeing as you have helped me out,.type in www.cheval 87.jimdo.com the first section. ise of pure pesquet camargue 15.
many thanks.

What a lovely horse !

many thanks.

Hi, I couldn't find the link, but Camargue horses are beautiful - I've loved them ever since I saw the film, The Wild White Stallion (Crin Blanc in French)... They use them for herding cattle and general cowboy stuff, and for trekking - they're not as beautifully made as the Spanish horses, but they look as if they're solid and sensible. I've never ridden one, although when we were in the Camargue a couple of years ago there were horses for hire everywhere, and that was before the season really started ...

Are you in that part of France? Good luck with the hunt, and let us know how you get on.

What part of France are you in / looking at?

Up here in Normandy it's quite easy to find the sort of "middle horse" you are looking for, there's plenty around!

My boss mostly deals in competition horses but does have all-rounders for sale from time to time, she also has a lot of contacts who buy & sell. If you tell me a bit more about what you're looking for (age, height, ability etc) I can get her to have a look around for you :)

Have a look at www.leboncoin.fr - there are always horses for sale on there & you can look at adverts by region. They are mostly private sellers, rather than dealers / producers, so you're more likely to find a good all-rounder type which won't bankrupt you!

As for the Camargue pony - I know them well and they are a very fun and versatile breed :) In a previous job I had charge of a 6-year-old, 14.1 Camargue who did a beautiful dressage test, showjumped 1m with ease (despite being very green) and also did cross-country, endurance and was used by experienced riders in a riding school. They are lovely ponies, really tough and hardy but beautiful too.

What part of France are you in / looking at?

Up here in Normandy it's quite easy to find the sort of "middle horse" you are looking for, there's plenty around!

My boss mostly deals in competition horses but does have all-rounders for sale from time to time, she also has a lot of contacts who buy & sell. If you tell me a bit more about what you're looking for (age, height, ability etc) I can get her to have a look around for you :)

Have a look at www.leboncoin.fr - there are always horses for sale on there & you can look at adverts by region. They are mostly private sellers, rather than dealers / producers, so you're more likely to find a good all-rounder type which won't bankrupt you!

As for the Camargue pony - I know them well and they are a very fun and versatile breed :) In a previous job I had charge of a 6-year-old, 14.1 Camargue who did a beautiful dressage test, showjumped 1m with ease (despite being very green) and also did cross-country, endurance and was used by experienced riders in a riding school. They are lovely ponies, really tough and hardy but beautiful too.

thanks for that we are in the charente 30mins south of poitiers.
think i may search more about the camargue type, i would love a small horse to hack the randonees and chemain, theres tons.we are very lucky to own alot of land and woodland.would be interested in any recommendations.had warmbloods in uk, not looking for thoses right now.

newrider.com