Not Being forward

TheDappledRider

Aug 8, 2021
Hi all,
I just got my first horse, a 14.2 connemara mare, and things haven't been going too well. She is the sweetest mare on the planet and just so unmare-like. On ground. When I get on her, she all eats back, bucking, and not wanting to move. If I give her a squeeze she just tosses her head, and it gets worse if I give her a kick. PLEASE HELP!

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
I suppose the obvious thing is to have her back and saddle checked. Also, was she totally fine when you tried her when you went to see her? If so, the only other thing I can think of is serious napping. If it were that, try having some one walk out with you, but if you already have company, we're back to a physical problem.

Reactions: Trewsers

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Like @Huggy I'd start by getting her saddle checked and her back - usually a good saddler will tell you if they're sore in their back (they don't want to fit to a sore horse) and a good physio or chiro will tell you if a back problem is likely to be saddle related. If those are ruled out as problems I'd get a good RI out to help before things get worse.

How long have you had her? Did she come with her tack? What was she like when you tried her? Did you have her vetted? What experience do you have? I know it sounds like a lot of questions but they're all relevant. She may still be settling in and not wanting to leave her new friends. If she came with tack it may not fit well, indeed it may not even be the tack she was ridden in, some people throw anything in just so they can say includes tack. Presumably she was good when you tried her but think about the ability and riding style of her owner - maybe there are some things you could change so you're more effective and riding in a way she's used to. If you didn't have her vetted it would probably be useful to get a vet out to give her a once over in light of the problems you're having. And it isn't unusual to have problems with a first horse, there's often a huge difference between a school horse and a privately owned one, even one sold as a first horse or suitable for a novice.

I really would advise getting a good RI involved straight away. Problems like this only become worse as the horse realises they work and the rider gradually loses confidence, so don't let that happen to you.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
My first horse was a connie too and I don't think they are easy as a first horse - I was having lessons three times a week on her and I still struggled. All of the above advice is good - she could just be settling in, but it's definitely worth getting her and the tack checked. As Carthorse says, sometimes a seller will include tack but it doesn't necessarily fit correctly or comfortably - so definitely worth getting that looked at too.

Reactions: Huggy

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
I wish I had a 14.2 connie mare. My first source of info would be the person she came from. Who bred her, trained her and what is she used to?

Reactions: Trewsers

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I would also echo getting her checked professionally by a vet, saddle fitter and dentist before you try to address this as a behavioural issue.

I'd also check her pH levels as some horses are sensitive to too much potassium - mine is - which can have wide and varying symptoms.

What's her day to day routine?