Not happy in his stable.

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Okay, I can deal with me not been happy on a yard due to petty little things that annoy me. But all yards are like that taking the rough with the smooth.

However when my horse isn't happy I know I need to act . At the moment my horse is in an alleyway so to speak. It's inside and he can only have a nosy when people pass through the alleyway.

There are bars behind so he can see and touch other horses. However this is where the problem starts. The horse will pull faces or try to bite him when he cribs. It's getting to the stage where hill is so stressed he will pull faces at me, ears back, shaking his head, kicking out and refusing to go back. This is just when I am trying get to hang up his haynet! His tea is worse doing all of the above as well as therating to rear. I have tried covering up the back off the stable but it doesn't really seem to have made a massive difference. Though I am going to try that again.

Unfortunately there are no other available stables and this is now effecting me. Because I know his stressed out and unhappy it's getting to me .

Sadly the stable that was free by the time I got there on the Sunday there was already another horse In it.

I think I would be keeping one eye open for another yard after what you said about not having access to locks when others do! and now sox being unhappy. If he is being dangerous you must be careful, rearing in the stable is unacceptable. Me personally for the time being would tie him up away from his stable while you put in his hay and feed, especially as he has recently given you a nasty bite. He doesnt sound a happy bunny atall at the moment does he, what a worry. Ditto above I would speak to your YO about it, she needs to take a horses welfare into consideration.

Move. Horses are an expensive hobby if you're not enjoying it, and it sounds like Sox isn't much either bless him. Stables like that don't suit all horses unfortunately.

None of ours would like to be in that stable. When they're eating they like to feel left alone. Can you ask your YO if she could maybe nail up some cheap plywood or something to give him a bit more privacy?

Thanks. I recently spoke to the YM about when a stable becomes free on the yard could I have it she said she very much doubts a stable would come free. But we are building more and I could have one of them stables however the foundations aren't in and it is still where the liveries keep there hay. So I have no idea when it will happen. I have asked another. Girl if she would like to swap stables and waiting for her to get back to me. However the yard I am looking at there is a waiting list. I am going to put my rugs up there tonight and see if that makes any difference x

Reactions: Gimp
Very difficult. To be fair, Tobes hated his new stable for months and months, and he isn't overlooked. He has been very difficult settling in this new yard, and we have now been there for a year. The previous yard we were at he settled in days.

I do wonder about the grazing/mineral levels at the new yard. The chap whose ex racers I used to look after actually owned this ground, and I have to say, the ex racer I had from him was infinitely calmer elsewhere than on this ground.

Another livery has two horses at this yard and did have a third but the third was so badly behaved and psychotic in traffic she sent it to a trainer where it didn't appear to be particularly better behaved and now has it back but at a friends house.

Horse infinitely calmer and happier at the friends property ..................... I do sometimes think that sensitive horses have a lot of issues grass and mineral wise and maybe this is the key?

Mineral wise sox is getting good it all. Grass he has been kept in at the moment due to a lost shoe. However when our stable was power washed was was in two different stables over a 3 to 4 day period. Now I would think if he was more stressed his aggression would increase. However in these two other stables he was much calmer and shown no aggression I one of the boxes. Both stables where outside and we're all breeze blocked so there was no bars and sox had his own space . The stable he shown no aggression in was on one of the 2 main yards which is busy and is breeze blocked so again he has his own space. No other horses looking in at him.

I managed to block off 3/4 of the back of the stable and going to see if adding another rug makes a difference. I am going to ask another livery if they would fancy swapping too. However when I went to give sox his night net he still shook his head and had his ears flat back to the horse behind him . Even though the mare was quite happily eating hay. So he still is angry and feels he can really relax when it comes to feed. And I want my horse to be able to relax and eat in peace. Not be grumpy . I spoke to the family (mum) about it and she said if no one will swap or anything you might have to see about moving yards.

I would definitely be on the lookout for something new, at the end of the day we want a happy, healthy horse and it really doesn't sound like sox is coping well at the moment.
I'm inclined to agree with sjp as this is something I've wondered about a lot since moving to my new yard, most of the horses on this yard are a bit 'special' and almost half of them have had either lgl or full blown lammi (one sadly pts) this year too, I can't help but wonder if there is something in/missing from the grass that is messing with their gut which in turn is messing with their metabolism.
Anyway I hope for yours and Sox's sake that you get a different stable soon or at least ask the YO if you can put some boards up to make his stable private.

I would agree with kite rider - I would look for somewhere new because it doesn't sound like they're going to change their minds anytime soon and find you a new box.

Little update from me.

I have brought sox back into work as of tonight and I have completely blocked off the back of the stable with rugs. He does appear slightly happier.

Though I have been told by a friend of mine there is a stable going oat this other yard. My mum said it sounds like I have talked myself into going. However it's a big decision. Sox may not be happy fully but he is settled. Normally in the winter my friend turns out and I bring in. However due to my work this year and no longer working nights I would either have to bring them in before I start work so around 10 ish. Or bring them in after dark and they would be the only ones out. Failing that I would have to pay so not 100% sure what to do.

So long as there is two of them out until after dark I wouldn't let them being the last ones worry me, think of them as lucky getting more turn out all winter :)

Reactions: Trewsers
What Jessey says, on our last yard our pair got left together in the winter turnout but it didn't matter so long as they had each other, plus it was good that they got a bit extra! So long as Sox is okay with that (I know how choosey these tb types can be:D). It is hard when there is a lot to consider and I think you are right to feel he's partially settled apart from the stable situ. Presume he's made friends in the field?

There all separate in the field so not I'm a herd he does like the Welsh D he goes down to the field with. The grass is pretty poor in winter and tbh when it gets to half 2 ish he is ready to come in if there's no grass

There all separate in the field so not I'm a herd he does like the Welsh D he goes down to the field with. The grass is pretty poor in winter and tbh when it gets to half 2 ish he is ready to come in if there's no grass

Ah. I would still consider moving then. Not like he's pair bonded with anyone in particular? A new yard might be better to suit yours and his needs. If you are busy with work then you probably could do with help - and also I think he needs a routine, getting left out might bother him if the pickings are poor. I know our Joe hated being out late in winter if there wasn't much grass - but that could have just been him! I still think. Jessey is right about winter turnout in general, some yards its hard to come by and you might be best taking advantage but on the other hand if he's a tb.......blimey, its never easy is it?!

It's never easy with sox trews! Even at the moment sox is I a paddock as the other was is need rested for winter. However there isn't a lot of grass a d after 5 hours or so he wants to come in. Not really. He is a friendly horse to a degree likes to say hello to everyone and love to play ... just a bit to rough really. I worked it out last night if I was to move to this other yard I would be saving more in money and time and I know he would be okay. I have seen the staff handle a mare who has issues going into her stable in a really calm way .

Reactions: Gimp
newrider.com