Not quite finished yet

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
I came home to find a lame but delinquent horse had taken down the spring gate to get onto the bank he is not allowed on as there is lots of grass and it was where we thought he first tweaked his shoulder.

On closer examination, i found that the coiled spring was wrapped around his front leg, went through the belly flap of his fly rug and around his tail. Eventually managed to extract stupid sod from his metal adornments.

What i want to know is what the heck has he done with the handle.....

• Wow
Reactions: GaryB
Oh good Lord! Is someone practicing voodoo round your way?! Is he ok?

Oh good Lord! Is someone practicing voodoo round your way?! Is he ok?
absolutely fine, I only noticed it when he started coming across the yard to go to have his dinner.....so he stood in the stable while I untangled tail and unhooked it from around front leg.....he's a very good boy. if daft.

Reactions: Huggy
He came in this morning and seemed pretty sound. His naughtiness factor is increasing, when I came through the gate after skipping out the field, I fumbled closing it and he was out again like a flash and had to be 'retrieved'. When I did some work with Suze who was concentrating like mad reining in and out of the uprights on the yard, he was chasing Fleur.....

Whilst spring gates a great and have there uses they are a nightmare when the animals wreck them. I believe that they are not recommended for horses anymore due to the danger and injurys caused.

Ramsey got through a dodgy bit of post and rail one night, years ago, onto the bypass. Police at the door at 2am, - thank goodness for postcoding on his rug! Ours was the only house with a light on, so they rang our bell. When I got there, two police cars had corralled him onto a verge, where he was happily munching away. It was funny, but I'd never have forgiven myself if he'd caused an accident. Very fortunate too, that he was so placid.

Oh cripes! I hate those spring gates, I decked my place out with them a few years ago as they looked handy, but fly swishing tails got caught in them too many times and left horses charging around with a giant slinky chasing them so I scrapped the rest.

newrider.com