not really barefoot but ...are there any boots to fit over horse shoes?

Brychen

Aug 11, 2002
Visit site
My old boy has very flat hooves , have tried barefoot which was a disaster. He strugles with stony surfaces which is mainly what I have to ride on. I was thinking of hoof boots over his shoes I was sure there was an italian make. any ideas any one?

You can use any hoof boot over a shoe provided it's the right shape and a good fit. She doesn't need them but I have hacked Tess out with her Easyboots over her front shoes as an experiment and they worked absolutely fine. It's supposed to wear the boot out more quickly, but I think that will also depend on which ones you do it with.

Why can't you have pads under the shoes to ease the sole pressure?:confused:

Why can't you have pads under the shoes to ease the sole pressure?:confused:

Its economics! Blacksmith has quoted me £100 extra per shoeing on top of £60 to shoe each time (every six weeks)to add pads (£160). My thoughts are that if I use hoof boots I would spend about £100 for a front set which seems to be the main problem area and probably get a years worth of work from them. he doesnt need pads for the field just work on the tracks around here.

My thoughts are that if I use hoof boots I would spend about £100 for a front set which seems to be the main problem area and probably get a years worth of work from them.

You also avoid the risk of weakening the sole even further by taking it out of use and getting infection under the pads.

P.S If you use boots over the horse shoes do you need a bigger size boot than usual?

No, only issue would be if the feet are already tall, but that seems unlikely in the circumstances, weak feet with flat soles can be a tad short for some boots without additional height of the shoe. Measuring up should be easy - you would simply measure the shoe side to side and front to back. I would personally try using easyboots rather than old macs if they fit OK.

yann

Thank you so much for the helpful replies. My farrier is very very good and does a lot of remedial shoeing for vets practices. he like you was concerned that padding would allow for dirt and grit to build up and infections to fester even if the hooves were packed under the padding.

I will look at getting the easy boots I am hopeful that this will also give more traction as some of the tarmaced tracks round here have not been resurfaced since laid down in the 50's!!!

I was interested in your comment re hoof height as well as when I last tried easy boots 10 years ago as a spare shoe they went above the cornet band and rubbed pony.

I will provide an update once I have got some boots and had a play!!!

newrider.com