Not so stupid questions?

there are lots of american websites about "domesticated" ridden Zebras. THey're able to be sold under licence at wild animal sales in the states and some people do break them for riding (not sure what type of saddle, since their backs are very different to horses').

Alflover said:
My question - what is a VSD saddle!?
"Very Slightly Dressage" - the flaps are slightly straighter cut than on a GP, and they are not much good for jumping in!

I always find bits to be a bit trial and error. They are measured in inches, with a quarter of an inch difference. To give you an idea of size, my cob is a 5 3/4 bit and my TB a 5 1/2. They need to be loose enough that they don't pinch their mouths, but obviously not so loose that they're uncomfortable. And different bits fit differently. In his Dutch gag, Jacob needed a 5 1/2. The French Link snaffle had to be a quarter of an inch bigger.

Try a couple of sizes (I heard from a friend that some companies do tester bits, made from rubber so you know what size to order... not come across them myself), and if possible, get your YO or RI to check that it's a comfortable fit. When I fitted Salsa's new French-Link snaffle (he came without tack), I had to try three different sizes. The difference wasn't a lot, and I had to ask my RI to check it fitted correctly.

Last edited:
What is a curb strap and how do you put it on?
I was told by the previous owner that I needed one on Mister so I was able to stop him if he tried to run with me. He's in a 5 inch full cheeked snaffle bit and a Western headstall.
I hesitate to even buy one until I know what they are and how they are placed, I've ridden him without and he's never tried to run with me or grab the bit away. If I use the one rein to turn his head he immediately stops anyways... would I be getting something unnecessary, or putting my safety to the test???

mandagirl26 said:
What is a curb strap and how do you put it on?
I was told by the previous owner that I needed one on Mister so I was able to stop him if he tried to run with me. He's in a 5 inch full cheeked snaffle bit and a Western headstall.
I hesitate to even buy one until I know what they are and how they are placed, I've ridden him without and he's never tried to run with me or grab the bit away. If I use the one rein to turn his head he immediately stops anyways... would I be getting something unnecessary, or putting my safety to the test???

A curb strap is used with a shanked (curb) bit. It's attached to the top bit rings where the headstall attaches (the reins attach to the lower rings on the shanks of the bit) and goes under the horse's chin. It allows the rider to exert pressure on the horse's poll.

Lots of riders use them for extra brakes - I normally ride with a curb bit and curb chain, although I rarely need to use it with Bram and never have with Quanah. But that's the bit the boys are used to, and I think if it ain't broke, don't fix it.:) If your fellow is stopping fine for you out on the trails in a snaffle, then I wouldn't change his bit.:)

Did your horse actually run away with his previous owner, or did the previous owner have him in it just in case the horse ever decided to do so?

Here's a picture of Bram in his Argentine snaffle (really a curb) bit. You can see the light brown strap attached to the top bit ring - it goes under his chin and attaches to the same ring on the other side.

bramabettafront.jpg

Last edited:
Pink's lady said:
OMG - Bram's brown/black! :eek: I was convinced he was chestnut! :eek:

He changes color a lot (being something of a man of mystery;) ). He appears black (with white roaning) when he first gets his new coat of the season, then gradually fades to brown until he sheds out/grows the next coat.:) This pic was taken in May, so he's dark brown with Ozzie Osborne red streaks in his mane. :p I think the one that makes him look chestnut was taken in very strong sunlight towards the end of July.

Last edited:
So I have a follow up on the curb strap or chain, both my horse's have them on their bridles, but I don't see how this would aid in stopping. As far as I was able to tell it just helped keep everything where it belonged.

I hate my snaffles with shanks and I plan to get rid of them as soon as possible, probably have to get rid of the curb chain as well, maybe I should do that first and see how they go (or not go as the case may be).

if you have a curb bit, then when you use the rein, the bit rotates around the mouthpiece. look at the pic of bram (i thought he was orange too!) and you can see that when you pull the rein, the top part of the bit will move forward - the curb strap will then put pressure on his chin. it's that extra pressure that says stop.
that's the more simplistic version - curbs have other uses, and for instance in a double bridle, riding dressage, it is more of a precision tool asking for a specific positioning of the head - i don;t know about high-level western.
but if you are using it for brakes, then it's the pressure it puts on the chin.

newrider.com