Not sure if we have a wee problem

Loveslayla

Dec 30, 2019
Hi...

after some advise, so I took my 11yr old gelding out for a walk around the village today...as soon as we got on to the road he stopped hung his man hood out and stood in the pee stance.... so I let him wee.... and he passed loads... continued the village walk and after about30 mins on the way back he stopped again.. I legged him on several times before my hubby said he looks like he needs a wee.... and he did another large wee.
Once I’d had my ride... the kids were riding him in the field and he wee’d again... so that’s 3 times in 2/3hrs while being ridden... is this normal.. he does drink a lot of water ?

he also does seem to hang his man hood out quite a bit

just checking what you’d expect to be normal... he’s not done this before but we’ve only had him a few months

Mine did the same a couple of rides ago - 3 big wees in the course of one hack. He has never been shy about weeing and often wees when we're out but not usually that many times.

Drinking and weeing a lot can be a symptom of Cushings, other symptoms are lethargy and loss of muscle. My horse has got Cushings but is on medication and appears perfectly well.

Another reason can be if the horse is on fresh grass, I assume because of the moisture content.

It's probably just one of those random things, but I'd keep an eye out and contact your vet if you think he is urinating excessively or you see him straining. You may want to collect a sample if you involve the vet. Good luck with that!

Reactions: Loveslayla
A
Mine did the same a couple of rides ago - 3 big wees in the course of one hack. He has never been shy about weeing and often wees when we're out but not usually that many times.

Drinking and weeing a lot can be a symptom of Cushings, other symptoms are lethargy and loss of muscle. My horse has got Cushings but is on medication and appears perfectly well.

Another reason can be if the horse is on fresh grass, I assume because of the moisture content.

It's probably just one of those random things, but I'd keep an eye out and contact your vet if you think he is urinating excessively or you see him straining. You may want to collect a sample if you involve the vet. Good luck with that!

I don’t think he drinks excessively... he has a 40l bucket in the field and will drink half to 2/3 a day but he has always drunk this amount since I’ve had him.

he isn’t lethargic or unwell and Definatly not loosing muscle... he is a chunky cob... not appetite loss, the opposite... he is very trumpy but again I put that down to the grass so is now on pink powder

I would say his girth is getting tighter and I think that’s due to the grass as he’s now on 24/7 turn out... I have restricted his intake.

I thought he was trying his luck, if he stands to wee he doesn’t have to work lol ( he is cheeky) And being a heavy rider can see the advantage of not wanting to work . Should I just keep him going instead of stopping... ?
He is due his jabs in June so will ask vet to give him a health check he has feather mites so battling that too

x

Has it been raining where you are. If hes had excess wet grass he could have extra but its a little abnormal id say. Id monitor tomorrow and then see i its still frequent. Is he straining at all to pass.

Has it been raining where you are. If hes had excess wet grass he could have extra but its a little abnormal id say. Id monitor tomorrow and then see i its still frequent. Is he straining at all to pass.

no it’s been quite dry... I’ve not noticed him excessive weeing when in the field... he’s not straining to pass, a little slow to start but I was onboard... I’ll monitor him... he certainly is his normal cheeky self
X

My horse will do 2 big wee’s in a 30 min walk about. He doesn’t like to go in his stable so seems to hold onto it when we are riding. He will also poo 3 times in 30 mins and then nothing for hours. It is ‘his’ normal. You just have to work out what is normal for your horse.

40l intake isn't excessive. Some just feel better being ridden with an empty bladder so will often wee when you ride. You might just have caught him at that time where his body was dealing with a big drink from several hours earlier. I really wouldn't worry unless, as @Bodshi says, it become excessive or he's straining.
I thought he was trying his luck, if he stands to wee he doesn’t have to work lol ( he is cheeky) And being a heavy rider can see the advantage of not wanting to work . Should I just keep him going instead of stopping... ?
If he needs to pee you can't really just keep him going, its not like when they poo and can do it on the move. Now if he acts like he needs to pee and just stands there producing nothing thats a different story and chivvying him along would be appropriate as that can become a way to get a break from work :)

40l intake isn't excessive. Some just feel better being ridden with an empty bladder so will often wee when you ride. You might just have caught him at that time where his body was dealing with a big drink from several hours earlier. I really wouldn't worry unless, as @Bodshi says, it become excessive or he's straining.

If he needs to pee you can't really just keep him going, its not like when they poo and can do it on the move. Now if he acts like he needs to pee and just stands there producing nothing thats a different story and chivvying him along would be appropriate as that can become a way to get a break from work :)

This is what I think he is doing... Lol he can be work shy.

I have noticed he does usually pee around the same time each day... and this does co inside with riding.. going to take him out early at the weekend. Sometimes he does just stand there ( like an old man waiting lol)

thank you all for your reply’s... this site is fab. I can be the neurotic horse mum And ask the questions that seem trivial but important.. like wee problems

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
newrider.com