Not sure of hacking in area...

EmmaArr

Welshie Fan
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
The Oldmeldrum - Aberdeenshire area.
Have been brought up here but unsure of where you are allowed/not allowed to hack etc. My OH's granda has some of his horses on some grazing land on the outskirts and i have been given a few horses to ride and get fit for OH's granda. Anybody help?
Thank you in advance

TBH with the access rules in Scotland then provided its not a locked gate you can pretty much ride anywhere, as long as you are on a track and by using it are not right next to peoples front windows (unless its a track used for years in which case even thats ok!). (mind you I live on a track and it is pretty much next to front window but I dont mind that cos I ride on it too:)).

There is a forestry commission leaflet about which woods you can ride in. prob also on their website.

Im a cowardly custard 'we better not go that way they might not like it', but fortunately hack out with an endurance rider peep who's a lot more familiar with the routes and uses them all.

We are over near Ballater/Aboyne but same county so same principles!

Its a lot easier hacking up here than in England, up here, the principle is you can go anywhere unless specifically excluded, whereas down south basically you cant go anywhere unless specifically permitted or on moor or common. Sooooo much better.

The only thing you do get up here is grumpy gamekeepers (fine if you were disturbing birds, but a few of them do just block off routes altogether, ones they shouldnt be).

Its a lot easier hacking up here than in England, up here, the principle is you can go anywhere unless specifically excluded, whereas down south basically you cant go anywhere unless specifically permitted or on moor or common.

Not even that much freedom, I'm afraid.

'Open access' on moorland etc applies ONLY to walkers.

There is NO public open access enshrined in law for horseriders. Some areas (eg Dartmoor and the New Forest) do have a tradition of open access outwith actual public rights of way, but tradition seems to be little if any protection from our current lords and masters.

newrider.com