Not sure what to do...

skyenfaye

Aug 10, 2009
County Durham
Last night my dad took me to find out how much it was for livery at a yard near me so i could keep a horse there for summer but no-one was there and we rang the yard owner but she didnt answer. So we decided to go and see my dads friend (Who also has horses, kept at a yard near my dads house) who mentioned some one at the farm was looking for a person to loan his pony and ive just been down to the yard to ride her.
Shes a welsh x called Summer, chestnut and 16. Shes quite friendly if a little bolshy on the ground.
Now, im quite happy to have a chance to ride but a few downsides that are running through my head:
She has cushings - I dont know anything about it or what it does to horses or if she needs to be treated diffrent to other ponies. She has two tablets a day for it though.
She hasnt been ridden for 4 years, shes been driven but not ridden. I dont know if im a good enough rider to ride her becasue of this, also there isnt a school or a feild i can ride in. The only choices i have the BIG feild which has crops in but theres a grassy lane next to it, hacking out or i would have to get someone to put the stallion in his stable then ride in his feild which will be a pain to have to keep doning and the others arent very good becasue i get nervous cantering in a big space for the first time.
Although i enjoy hacking its not my favorite thing to do, i like to try a bit of schooling too.
This yard is further from my sisters house and theres no where to keep the tack so i have to carry it all the way.

Theres also some more but i have temporialy forgot them. :redface:

I dont have to have her on loan and i can continue looking for a diffrent pony but im not sure what to do.

:cry:

Last edited:
If you are not sure then walk away, far too many doubts there to consider it. There will be one more suitable for you that comes up.

Honestly, I'm not sure about her. How did you feel when you rode her? How did she behave? It sounds as though there might be a lot of issues with her, and that you are not 100% confident about your ability to bring her back into work properly. Also, it sounds as though the situation could easily become a bit hard - carrying your tack all that way is tough, especially in the winter.

I know it must feel amazing to be offered a pony to ride, but I think that lots of people are looking for good loaners and sharers at the moment. It might be sensible to wait a bit and see what else turns up.

Thinking about it - how would you feel saying, "I don't think I'm confident to take her on full loan at the moment, but I'm happy to ride her for you a few times to see how we get on"? Who knows, perhaps she will come back lovely and you'd be silly to miss her.

I know nothing about Cushing's but lots of other people do and I'm sure they'll give you good advice.

I don't know too much about the ins and outs of Cushings either, but
sounds like it may be under control with the tablets.

Jane&Ziggy has come up with a brilliant suggestion though in saying about
trying her a few times before making a decision:wink::smile:

newrider.com