Not sure what to do

TBminx

Mar 22, 2013
Gelding nicked inside of hind leg. Bled a bit but not big enough for a stitch etc.

I cleaned it and blue sprayed it but wasnt happy that 5 days later still bit puffy and warm. Now only puffy low down and not up leg and only warm not hot. Nothing coming out of cut and clean.

So it was bandaged to keep clean and he was given 10mls antib just incase infection incase there is and it goes into the joints etc.

Bandage off today but swollen although not lame and am hoping a day in the field and it will go down from walking around.

Any other advice?

I'm not sure that a one off jab of 10 ml would do the trick anyway? Usually with antibiotics you do need a course rather than a one off in my experience, otherwise it can just damp down any infection but not enough to clear it right up. I would usually give that every other day until they have had 3 doses.

Did your vet give the one off dose? Perhaps it was just a precautionary jab rather than they feel it really is getting infected? usually my vet leaves more with me and leaves it to me to decide after a couple of days how things are going.:unsure:

If its swollen the chances are its infected.

I would say you need a 100ml bottle of depocillin and inject every day for five days with 20 mls. Who told you to inject 10mls?

If its swollen the chances are its infected.

I would say you need a 100ml bottle of depocillin and inject every day for five days with 20 mls. Who told you to inject 10mls?

Sorry I stand corrected...tis my donks that get 10 ml....20ml for a horse usually.:smile:

As it wasnt a major cut and only slightly warm and puffy at bottom with no lameness etc it was the yard owner who said as a precaution inject and bandage etc and he said see tomorrow how it is.

Tonight it was bit better so will see tomorrow and hope it continues to heal as cut is clean and nothing coming out of it but going to poultice it again just incase.

So he hasn't been seen by a vet? Where did the antib come from? You injected it or am I reading that wrong?

No he hasnt been seen by a vet as was just a nick and seemed to be healing .

I am keeping it clean with hibiscrub and he is now hot poulticed and had another jab.

Last edited:
TBMinx , I think you are in Ireland??.... over here it is very unusual for people to do their own antibiotic injections unless asked to and prescribed by a vet! I am surprised that anyone on a racing yard would do it though because of stringent on yard antidoping testing.

TBMinx , I think you are in Ireland??.... over here it is very unusual for people to do their own antibiotic injections unless asked to and prescribed by a vet! I am surprised that anyone on a racing yard would do it though because of stringent on yard antidoping testing.

Actually I do agree with this, even over here I would be wary of anyone just randomly jabbing your horse with ABs. Although I do my own, it is only after my very trusted vet has seen the animal and Ok'd Abs and given me the stuff to use under his instructions. Albeit giving me some leeway to judge how things are going. But we do have a very long and mutually trusting vet/client relationship fortunately.

I do have many friends around me though with yards and so on, who routinely jab ABs and other stuff as they think fit, it isnt unusual over here, but that doesn't make it right IMO.

Well my vet knows us well, and never has an issue prescribing injectible antibiotics to me for my horse. However, we are a farming fraternity, so maybe it is a bit different.

What I would say is that just to jab a horse with 10mls of antibiotic as a one off is a bit odd.

If you are going to use antibiotics because (as in my case, my horse has a pathetic immune system and frequently gets infected), then actually you need to use a whole course of antibiotics. So that would be a 5 day course of 20 mls intramuscularly every day.

I personally don't agree with under prescribing antibiotics, or just using a bit. If you are going to use them, use a course, or you will just set up an immunity to them.

Please don't think I am having a go, but either they need to be used properly, or not at all - IMO!!!

Hope horse is recovering nicely now.

It was not a one off dose. As planned he has had another 10ml dose with a day apart and on speaking to both my farrier (who also does his own), a friend who breeds racehorses (he also does his own) and my vet I am happy he will be on the mend now with the hibiscrub, poulticing and 20 ml given.

Giving 20ml when early on and not very hot or swollen is adequate ive been told by all the above either in one dose or two doses a day apart. His leg looked alot better today and he is out to try and get the swelling down a bit still bandaged to keep it clean. I shall remove and redo the bandage tonight.

Eml & Cortrasna...I am in NI and lots of people with the knowledge and experience her to do so inject their own for such minor ailments. Maybe the south of ireland is different but not from what I have heard. Injecting with antib's is different to other drugs or doping and its ok to inject mine as not racehorses lol, they are retired racehorses so not in racing or subject to tests for drugs etc and my hubby could do it too if need be :smile:

I dont want a backlash from saying that but I think it is obvious that people do it and understandable why when have alot of horses for minor scrapes as not going to call out a vet everytime one has a nick or a cough.

Thanks sjp1 he seems to be coming good now. Was nothing major I just worry :redface:

Last edited:
No it is the same down here TBminx, that is what I meant in this statement:

''I do have many friends around me though with yards and so on, who routinely jab ABs and other stuff as they think fit, it isnt unusual over here, but that doesn't make it right IMO''

They are all very experienced horse people too, but nevertheless they are NOT one of them a trained vet. And Abs have exactly the same worry in horses as in humans...if they are used too often for too trivial stuff, when the human or horse really needs them they have built up an immunity so they don't work.

No different to any drug IMO, there is a very good reason that they are meant to be prescribed by a qualified vet, even if the vet is happy to leave the injecting to the owner, at least he has ascertained that it really is necessary to use whatever drug they have prescribed.

It is entirely your choice to allow YO or whoever to diagnosis and prescribe for your horse, but without putting too fine a point on it, it wouldn't be my choice. If the problem or injury wasn't something that I could deal with using the huge range of over the counter medication then I would consult with my vet, every time .:wink:

No it is the same down here TBminx, that is what I meant in this statement:

''I do have many friends around me though with yards and so on, who routinely jab ABs and other stuff as they think fit, it isnt unusual over here, but that doesn't make it right IMO''

They are all very experienced horse people too, but nevertheless they are NOT one of them a trained vet. And Abs have exactly the same worry in horses as in humans...if they are used too often for too trivial stuff, when the human or horse really needs them they have built up an immunity so they don't work.

No different to any drug IMO, there is a very good reason that they are meant to be prescribed by a qualified vet, even if the vet is happy to leave the injecting to the owner, at least he has ascertained that it really is necessary to use whatever drug they have prescribed.

It is entirely your choice to allow YO or whoever to diagnosis and prescribe for your horse, but without putting too fine a point on it, it wouldn't be my choice. If the problem or injury wasn't something that I could deal with using the huge range of over the counter medication then I would consult with my vet, every time .:wink:

yes of course i would consult with my vet if something serious and sometimes people say i go to vet too soon lol.

Yes it is entirely my choice and as it has worked and he is all tickety boo and to be honest saving me a call out fee right now when just paid out £900 this week for livery, farrier, insurance and had fraud on my bank card that saving is quite welcome right now :wink:

newrider.com