Notes from Rossdales equine hospital talk tonight

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I've just got in from Rossdales, it was a good evening and very informative, I never knew horses could get fillings! hopefully they will be running more.

Emily haggat talked about equine grass sickness and atypical myopathy.
EGS, she said is predominantly effecting horses of 2-7 years old, and horses newly introduced to a pasture, though they still don't know what causes it they believe it is a bacteria in the soil so soil disturbance is thought to increase the risks, things like new gateways being put in, also pastures known to have had cases of EGS in the past are higher risk. They suggest being careful particularly when moving horses in the age range and gradually introducing them to new pastures over 3-4 weeks. Things to keep an eye out for are lethargy, elephant posture (feet all together under the barrel), stretching out (like trying to pee), weight loss, colic like symptoms, eyelashes pointing downwards/ droopy eyelids, laying down a lot, difficulty swallowing, not wanting to walk, dark membranes, fast respiration. It can be acute or chronic. She did stress that any one of these may not mean EGS but could be an indicator. They suggest that EGS normally rears it's head within 3 weeks of going onto new pasture and it is very rare to get more than one case at a time but it should be noted for future years as a higher risk field. EGS Is normally diagnosed based on symptoms as the definitive test is a biopsy of the intestine which is invasive and appears to be counterproductive in terms of recovery.

EAM, is more often seen in younger horses (over 6 months) but it is seen in older horses too, poor pasture seems to increase the risk, high risk times are when seeds of the sycamore fall and when the little saplings come up in the spring but the leaves appear to not be an issue however maple leaves do appear to be an issue. The level of stress which the trees are under appears to affect the level of toxins in them. The common symptoms are that of tying up, muscle soreness, muscle twitching/tremors, stiffness, reluctance to move, dark urine, these develop whilst in the field rather than in work as with azotoria. They suggest keeping horses off fields with sycamores during high risk times or turning out less with alternative forage available to discourage foraging in/around seeds, they have also noted that after a good frost they rarely get any more cases and believe the frost reduces the toxins drastically. I asked if feeding something like charcoal if there is known ingestion would be beneficial and she suggested it wouldn't be a bad idea if you saw them eating them or if they broke into a fenced off area but wasn't sure about feeding regularly as a preventative as needs to go in the tummy quickly after ingestion to remove toxins before they enter the blood and muscles. They said if it is suspected getting a urine sample whilst waiting for the vet if the opportunity arises can be very helpful. EAM can be confirmed by means of a blood test as muscle enzymes go through the roof.

Both problems have a high mortality rate, but are more likely to survive with early diagnosis and intensive nursing and vet care. There was mention in both issues of older horses and those who have been on the pasture for a long time developing a resistance to the toxin/bacteria.

I've probably forgotten some info (since I forgot to take a note book) but I think that's most of it.

Thanks for sharing jessey. I'm familiar with the egs stuff as had experience of a few cases in my area unfortunately but I'm still suspicious of the panic around the atypical myopathy so interesting to hear more detail.

I queried the sudden panic over it too, aparently this time last year it wasnt known what was causing it so it was just seen as 'one of those mystry illnesses' which vets knew happened but didnt have any clue why, the hype has come from the discovery that it is preventable.

Yeah, I guess. and the fact that social media is now the main way of getting the message out there, but it can become a bit like Chinese whispers and feel like scaremongering. anyway, not to digress! Sounds like an interesting talk, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Jessey
Thanks so much for sharing that first hand Jessey -I have been stressing hugely about the sycamore problem, as all of my grazing has this problem, some parts worse than others. I now feel a little happier that I am handling my fields and how I graze them the best I can, and that the hard frost we are getting this past week is my friend. It has helped me get it all into a little more perspective.:)

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com