Nothing to do with horses, but fuming

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Our HP printer died. I searched and searched for a replacement and bought another HP one from Costco, on special offer. Had to join and pay £15.00 but the savings justified it. It arrived. Didn't work. Cartridges were not recognised by it and it was all style and no substance i.e flimsy. Have had the hassle of sending it back plus they are refusing to refund my joining fee despite it being within the cooling off period.

2nd printer from PC World clearance, Canon printer, damaged box. It arrives, no instructions, get it set up and running but no coloured inks included - it is a tank type so no cartridges. Black supplied, but not the 3 colours. Inform them, they don't stock them!!!!! Offered me 10% which is less than 50% of the cost of buying the cartridges. I go fairly ballistic. They say either send it back or take 10% I say complete the contract.

So now i will go to Capital One and claim on both of them. It's only £45 difference but given i have no money coming in from our business, it buys some horse feed. Plus I am fuming at what companies get away with. PC World are crap to deal with anyway, took 3 tvs before one worked! But the time you spend on this is ridiculous.

rant over.

Unfortunately with the printers its the way things are going. I recall the same a while back. A black suplied, but that only did a measly number of pages. It was like half a cartridge supplied, and again no colours.
They all seem pretty flimsy to me. You barely touch and a bit of the casing falls off.
Ive gone through about 6 printers in 20 years. Thats just doing basic home printing, not office stuff.

I thought for sometime that pc world arent all there cracked up to be. I get the current crisis and things not being imported. When we were in there over the summer looking for new headphones for playstation, one shop assistant said if it aint on the shelves we aint got it. But this hasnt just been this year. Its been for a while.
When i brought my tablet last year. I wanted a case to go with it. They didnt have the one for my model. Didnt know when they would get one in for that model. Couldnt tell me where i could get one. So offered me a generic one, so i brought that. Problem is it covers the camera so i cant use that part of the tablet.

Its the same with mobile phones though. You buy a phone but they dont do cases in there for them. I have to go into town to then go to a separate shop to see if they have a case for the kodel i just brought.
Im on my third smart phone, in 4 years. Soon to be four. Considering what an advanced society we are. Yet things are throw away. Its excepted though.
As soon as a new phone comes out people want it as its going to be better and make life easy. I do get that part. Those on contract get them as a supposed free upgrade. Yet people like myself who arent on contract buy things to last. I dont expect to pay out £150 and then have to replace it a year later. I know its only money, but i worked hard hours to buy myself a phone but i sometimes feel that it doesnt repay me. Especially like my current one, im spending more time looking at a frozen screen than i am actually making the call.

Unfortunately with the printers its the way things are going. I recall the same a while back. A black suplied, but that only did a measly number of pages. It was like half a cartridge supplied, and again no colours.
They all seem pretty flimsy to me. You barely touch and a bit of the casing falls off.
Ive gone through about 6 printers in 20 years. Thats just doing basic home printing, not office stuff.

I thought for sometime that pc world arent all there cracked up to be. I get the current crisis and things not being imported. When we were in there over the summer looking for new headphones for playstation, one shop assistant said if it aint on the shelves we aint got it. But this hasnt just been this year. Its been for a while.
When i brought my tablet last year. I wanted a case to go with it. They didnt have the one for my model. Didnt know when they would get one in for that model. Couldnt tell me where i could get one. So offered me a generic one, so i brought that. Problem is it covers the camera so i cant use that part of the tablet.

Its the same with mobile phones though. You buy a phone but they dont do cases in there for them. I have to go into town to then go to a separate shop to see if they have a case for the kodel i just brought.
Im on my third smart phone, in 4 years. Soon to be four. Considering what an advanced society we are. Yet things are throw away. Its excepted though.
As soon as a new phone comes out people want it as its going to be better and make life easy. I do get that part. Those on contract get them as a supposed free upgrade. Yet people like myself who arent on contract buy things to last. I dont expect to pay out £150 and then have to replace it a year later. I know its only money, but i worked hard hours to buy myself a phone but i sometimes feel that it doesnt repay me. Especially like my current one, im spending more time looking at a frozen screen than i am actually making the call.
PC World have been hopeless for a long time, i went to look at printers there, they had 4 on display, so hardly worth bothering. I wanted to go and have a look at the quality of them. the Canon one is better made, but has disadvantages, scanning is only flatbed and don't like the paper feed tray but have had it with HP

We had this last week, our printer at the cafe died and we had to get another. PC world had 3, in a store the size of Olympia. Aargh!! I feel for you.

We too had problems with PC world and printer purchase. That was pre Covid and there was a conflict with our old Windows 7 computer.
I took it back.
Instead, I cleaned the feed rubbers of my old HP black and white lazer jet and continue to use it. We have had it since 2011.
I have never had a colour printer at home - always a back and white designed for offices and writers. And the old HP has up to date drivers and now connects to the new HP computer using wi fi.

We too had problems with PC world and printer purchase. That was pre Covid and there was a conflict with our old Windows 7 computer.
I took it back.
Instead, I cleaned the feed rubbers of my old HP black and white lazer jet and continue to use it. We have had it since 2011.
I have never had a colour printer at home - always a back and white designed for offices and writers. And the old HP has up to date drivers and now connects to the new HP computer using wi fi.
so far the Canon one is working ok, wireless, printing and scanning, only disadvantage is you have to scan one page at a time but it cost £130 and choice was spending around £400 so couldn't justify it

We bought a printer from Tesco two years ago. It’s pants and so temperamental. I groan if I ever have to use it!!! I can make it work but I have to be patient. printers seem to be very annoying in general!

Last time we visited pc world back in about 2010 we were told by an assistant that we’d be better off looking online! What a wasted trip that was.

newrider.com