NR's I sort of "need" your blessing and encouragement!

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I know this thread might come across as a bit daft - but some of you may know our old boy has been very ill and tbh, even OH has accepted that we are most definately on "borrowed time" with him. He is peaceful most of the time and has an acceptable quality of life (though his recent set-back isn't very encouraging, he's on antibiotics again) in that he enjoys rolling, being pampered and walked in-hand and roaming his tiny paddock.
Right, I have been in denial about this myself but the time has come to welcome another set of four-legs into the herd. I am quite a nervous person at the best of times, but quite frankly, I know I have to pull myself together and do the best for Storm should the worst happen to Joe.
We are currently making inroads into rehoming a less fortunate animal - but I am getting quite anxious about what sort of owner I will be. It is 7 years since we bought our pair and I just hope I've not developed loads of slack ways and bad habits! (I know that might sound potty to some of you but I worry I have my own way of doing things a bit too much!).
Please tell me to stop moaning and get on and give me your blessing too because I do feel a bit silly typing this almost like I'm being "unfaithful" to Joe - in that I'm replacing him, I'm not, it's just that I need so much for Storm to have a friend should the worst happen. I keep telling them both that they're going to have another friend soon, I just hope I can convince my rotten confidence that I can manage another friend!
Sorry for the long post.

Bless you Trewsers, you are just trying to do your best for all your creatures, and give a less fortunate creature a chance, too. You know we understand and approve. It doesn't mean you love your old boy less, or will care for him less. You're just thinking ahead: it's what people do.

DO IT. My friend was in a similar situation to yours, she had hers pts (32yrs old) about a month ago. Had a long term companion. She got another before said horse was pts, bearing in mind she had 5 ponies already. She felt a bit bad, thinking was she just replacing Rupert, he had been with her for 25yrs, but she has said it was the best decision she has made, and loves her new addition.

Have you re-read what you have posted. You sound like a loving caring owner, everybody has habbits, new one will adapt. Go for it.

You can't let them down you have already told them they are going to get a new friend.

Don't make me give you a virtual slap :ninja::ninja:

Last edited:
Stop being daft! You are not replacing Joe at all, he is still with you and the likely hood he will still be with you when another arrives. I'm sure he will still enjoy his pampering, just make sure he is not forgotten which i am sure you won't!

You are a wonderful mummy as is Mr T, so you should be proud of yourself! Good luck and hope all goes well for your new 4 legged friend!

Thank you so much - I don't have many horsey friends in real-life and Mr T is so busy atm, I don't want to burden him with my what-if's!lol, he's enough to think about. Its good to be able to talk on here, nobody else would understand - not even my mother, who is very animal-friendly!!!

Doh! Of COURSE you are not being unfaithful!!

Think of it in human terms... you have your group of friends. If you meet and make another friend, you don't feel disloyal to the ones you have already do you? And you don't like them any less because of it... and they don't like you any less because of it.

domane - you are right of course, nobody expects you to not make new friends do they?! It's just that the past 7 years have flown by, and I am so into my routine with our pair, Iknow it will be a big change for all of us - just hoping Mr Joe will be delighted to have a set of small-hooves nearby to boss about!! (In the nicest possible say, he's a big old softy really).

Trews I think you may be one of the sweetest people I have come across. You are very compassionate & considerate to horses and people alike so this thread comes as no surprise!

Don't think of it as getting another horse to replace Joe; you're getting another long term companion for Storm (and Joe!) What you are considering is only fair and in Storm's best interests, plus it means that for a while (and who knows how long - could be quite a while!) both of your two will get a new friend to play with. That certainly won't do any harm!

Go for it Trews, you know it's the right thing to do. And even if one person on here tells you any different (which I don't think anybody will) only you know what is right for your ponies x

I cant comment on a particular horse in need - but in general this seems sensible.
I too have a relationship with an elderly horse on borrowed time. Retired last Spring, but now back home and very happy to be gently hacked and petted. I love her so much, and always make time to ride her, but I do also ride something younger who can go farther and faster. Some of us are not "one horse people".
You have two horses already, so are not fixated on a single irreplaceable steed.
Then you ask about having lost skills of handling a younger newcomer to the herd? yes we do all lose skills - simply by always riding in the same place or on the same horses because our need to use the skills decreases. And we feel our competence shrink. We are older and wearier and may think we are past it.
But if the need comes, we can revive our abilities, often in the light of longer experience. It is much quicker to re-adapt to teaching horses things, and regain confidence than it was to learn how to do it the first time round.Dont be hard on yourself - if you need a refresher course, allow yourself that period of grace. Have a lesson or watch some videos, or read a training book or look at old threads on NR.
if this is the moment to think of a new horse, it wil all come flooding back. And you may well find you do things better than before.

Skib, you are so right - at least this time around even though there will probably be more new stuff to learn, it won't be as difficult as the very first time. I remember struggling with the basics, but eventually I "got it" and so of course this time things can only be a reminder and get better!

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, it's what I needed to hear, but you know, when you don't have people to chew it over with, you sometimes feel a bit of doubt creeping in. I guess everybody who thinks about getting another horse feels a bit like this at some point? (Except for those of you on here I envy, with many years and a wealth of experience). Who knows? Perhaps one day I might be posting a thread re-assuring someone like myself!!!

I think you are being a wonderful owner as you are taking every step you can to help Storm if and when Joe sadly leaves. That speaks of compassion and caring to me. Please don't think of a new herd member replacing Joe. No horse could do that. What a new horse can do though is sneak into your heart to be loved for him or herself, just as Joe and Storm are.

Its not a crime to offer a new horse a home especially when you have the time and love to offer as you have. You should take pride from all that you do do with your animals not feel as though your not doing it correctly. :)

Oh my goodness Trewsers! Just from this post/thread it's so clear that you have soooooo much to give to a new horse... surely the only cardinal sin here would be NOT to do it!?!

Absolutely do it! We've had our 2 for 14 and 10 years, my old lad has been off work all this year due to injury, and at 19 may not come back into work at all. This didn't stop me getting my new lad in June, he's not a replacement, we love all 3 of them the same :wink:

newrider.com