Occassionally I understand

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
why some people say they would never ever have a Welsh Cob.

Little Un has been struggling for a few weeks. His old pads literally fell apart when they were taken off - they were very old - and so they were replaced with new ones. he wasn't sure about them to begin with but seemed to settle down after about a week and was ok. Then got mud under them and he looked off so was reshod on three weeks to clear the mud out. Again fine until he got mud under them and for the last week has looked increasingly bad until yesterday morning he was struggling to walk across the yard to get to softer ground. These pads clearly weren't working if mud got under them.

I'd spoken to my farrier and he was coming lunchtime today so I thought, in my infinite stupidity, it would be best to keep him in. Sounds simple, doesn't it? I even gave him a half hay ration last night so he'd want hay this morning, and a half ration in his treat ball after an hour or so in. I only needed him to wait until 12, and there were other horses in.

I now no longer have a stall guard. He took a step back and rammed it so hard that the screws holding the Ds it clips to came out of the wall - they weren't little screws - then did his stupid massive Welsh cob trot across the concrete yard and potholed stoney car park to the small paddock in front of his paddock where he proceeded to gallop around like a lunatic. Yes he looked lame in the trot, no it didn't slow him down at all, and to be honest most sound horses couldn't produce that trot anyway - all the in hand showing lines in him were very evident in that movement, not that I was appreciating them. It took me ten minutes to catch the little sweetheart - no that was not what I was calling him! - and although a feed bowl did eventually work I wasn't sure with how he came over if I was going to catch him or if he was going to whip round and double barrel me, I suspect if it was nuts rather than mix I may have been in trouble. Managed to get him back to the box and hung on while someone took what was left of the stall guard off and then manhandled him in and shut the door very quickly. Oh he was in a temper!

By the time the farrier came an hour later I was starting to wonder if opening the door would end up with me being dragged facedown across the yard! I nearly got bitten putting his dually on and he got a slap across the mouth for his troubles. Kept a very firm hold on him to walk him up but at least the farrier could see that despite the "expressive" movement he wasn't happy. Fortunately he remembered his manners when tied up to be reshod, but to begin with I stood with him and social distancing be damned.

Luckily it was more mud under pads with no give in them so he now has some leather ones on which will give a bit if he gets mud under them and he looked instantly more comfortable, though not in a better mood. My farrier's not thrilled about the lack of frog support, but he thought the same as me that if we didn't put something with some give on he was just going to keep bruising and end up doing more damage to himself. He then had to stand in for an hour to let the putty set a bit, and it was another fight to get him back in. About the point I was trying to put duct tape across the back of the shoes to try and keep the mud out I decided he's the Son of Satan disguised as a Welsh Cob, but eventually I got it on and he led out safely if not quietly.

Reminds me why I do everything I can to avoid box resting him! I'm not sure why he was so furious about it today though, even for him that was a bit excessive.

I shouldn’t chuckle but I’m sniggering at your description ? what a little sod! It’s infuriating when you are bending over backwards to help them and they do their damndest to make matters worse/more difficult.

Bo had to go out first thing, even if it was only for 5 minutes before he was brought back in, otherwise his world was ending and he lost the plot, he wasn’t welsh though.

Yes why do we have them...................I live in fear lol of ending up with a welsh cob (only joking!). I don't think I'd ever manage one of those. I'll stick with the softy warmbloods and quirky connies. :D

@Jessey much as part of me was ready kill him another part was laughing, even when he's being an absolute nightmare he's still funny, not least because he thinks he's being so very clever. I find it hardest when there are times when if he'd just be a bit more reasonable his life would be much easier - for instance if he'd have stayed in for a few days he wouldn't now be so tender on his feet and the change of pads would probably have him sound straight away, this morning he was better than he was but still very wary coming out the box to begin with - maybe the trick is to let him think he's escaped lol?

@chunky monkey I wouldn't be without him though, and his fire is what makes him when it hasn't turned into an inferno!

@Trewsers most of the time he's a very sweet lad. but when he isn't he really is a prat.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
Cotton wool (in my case damped with iodine) shoved in the back of the pads to stop the mud entering sorted this for one of ours with this problem. Just changed once a day. Didnt sort the problem of him pulling them off stupidly often though!!

Yes why do we have them...................I live in fear lol of ending up with a welsh cob (only joking!). I don't think I'd ever manage one of those. I'll stick with the softy warmbloods and quirky connies. :D
Add Irish cobs to the ones to fear - I keep reading how placid and good natured they are - Hogan didn't get the memo.

• Haha
Reactions: Trewsers
@Tir he already has putty under the back of the pads, put there by the farrier before the pad is put on and then smoothed over the back. It should stop mud but some still gets through somehow :( . I'd never get anything else under there, there's no room.

@Huggy at least I have the consolation that Welsh Cobs are notorious for their attitude!

Reactions: Huggy
Add Irish cobs to the ones to fear - I keep reading how placid and good natured they are - Hogan didn't get the memo.
Lol Chloe is an Irish cob (I think). She's a living wonder lol But we've never ridden her. She came to do the job of companion / guardian for Storm. And does it brilliantly. 99.9 per cent of the time she's sane and wonderful. However, every now and again she can lose the plot lol I guess she'd have been the same to hack out on - probably wonderful mostly but every now and again...............................

• Haha
I shouldn’t chuckle but I’m sniggering at your description ? what a little sod! It’s infuriating when you are bending over backwards to help them and they do their damndest to make matters worse/more difficult.

Bo had to go out first thing, even if it was only for 5 minutes before he was brought back in, otherwise his world was ending and he lost the plot, he wasn’t welsh though.
Me too Jessey, sorry @carthorse but yes your very descriptive write up made me giggle too.

Lol Chloe is an Irish cob (I think). She's a living wonder lol But we've never ridden her. She came to do the job of companion / guardian for Storm. And does it brilliantly. 99.9 per cent of the time she's sane and wonderful. However, every now and again she can lose the plot lol I guess she'd have been the same to hack out on - probably wonderful mostly but every now and again...............................
That's it with Hogan , good boy good boy good boy EVIL! good boy etc etc

@Trewsers I think Irish cob is a type rather than a specific breed, so if she's a cob and she has a bit of Irish blood in her then she's an Irish cob :).
Yaye, that's what I hoped. Thing is, she's not a gypsy cob, definitely not Welsh cob, I've looked at lots of pictures and I *think* she sort of fits into the irish cob genre? She's Chloe the cob either way lol?

Reactions: carthorse
@Trewsers she's lovely and loved no matter what her breeding is, and that's what matters.

I suspect some of the breeding is what causes "Dragon" traits in the Welsh cobs, when I look at Little Un's breeding the number of times some stallions crop up is scary. And I'm taking no credit for dragon, it's a standing joke on breed pages that the D is for dragon and I don't think it's just because it's on the Welsh flag!

They do call it "a native Irish breed", the stud book was founded in 1998, so in its infancy really. There seems to be a cloudy area, as to whether it's a type or a breed. I must look out Hogans passport.

Reactions: carthorse
Interesting about the breeding @carthorse
We have a section A on our yard, she is the spookiest, most nervy pony I’ve ever met, her breeding is scarily in bred.
As for the Welsh D, beautiful as they are I couldn’t handle the tantrums myself, I’d be a nervous wreck, I’ll stick with my old and mostly ploddy girl.

@Kite_Rider he's nervy if people are nervy around him, but if they're confident then he's as brave as they come and will try his heart out. As for the tantrums, well they rarely escalate to this level, normally squared up body language and a bored "really?" has him backing down and looking rather sheepish. But then I love the fire and flounce, it's what makes him the funny clown he is and he's nowhere near as difficult as he sometimes looks. He makes me laugh far more often than he makes me roll my eyes, and if he has the odd diva moment well at least he's not dangerous with them.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
newrider.com