Offered a Horse

diplomaticandtactful

Apr 25, 2003
Buddy's ex owner messaged me and asked if i was looking for another Buddy as she has one that is 17 and needs a quieter life. Would love to but unless i can unload Fleur and the two younger donkeys, there is no way i can take on another horse what with the fields and the general work involved.

Shame, as would be safer to have something that is well ridden and good in traffic given i have to ride on roads all the time. Would simply leave Suze as she is and let her be.

Wish I could but at the moment it has to be a no.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy
That's such a shame.
It is but in some ways my real horse is Suze, she has been signalling that she wants to forgive and forget me falling off her - assisted by serial bucking of rodeo standard - and today i just chucked the saddle on, took her into the field where i fell off and worked her in hand. She was good as gold, we had a little walk up to the house for a carrot and then along the road to the yard. Got her tugs out of her mane and tail and took the worst off her. She kept turning her head to be cuddled. She is holding up a big sign saying ME ME ME PLEASE. Maybe what i should try to do is find a livery yard with off road riding - we have none here - so i can get a couple of months of good work into her including boxing there etc and then add in road work. She is ok on the roads, quite brave, but nothing like Buddy who you can rely on totally. But she could get anxious with bad drivers or big vehicles, and it would be good to get her ridden work more established before we ask her to cope with that. Move house, there that would solve it.20220109_094027.jpg

It's difficult isn't it. Nothing has "found" me yet to replace Storm (Zi is OH's horse really and far too big for me at 17hh, given I'm a tad over 5 ft). I'm not convinced if something does find me I have room though - not until I've had a barn roof replaced and Zi can share with a friend in there. cos I totally understand your predicament - but if you want me to be honest.............I'd probably take the horse - because they don't come along that often and fit what you want to that tune. If you think he'd be a good fit for you.....................................And at the risk of sounding morbid your others won't be around forever......................okay that's just my two penneth. You know your situation obviously and whether it could work. Do you have enough land? I know it's hard work and I know from things you've said on here, your other half isn't always well to help? But where there's a will there's a way..............

Or, do you have to ride on roads because you like hacking best? Could you put a track in around your land? I hate roads personally and won't ride on them unless totally forced to in an extreme situation - so for me, I'm more than happy pootling about our own land. I don't know how much you have? Would that work for you and Suze? You know if she's not quite so good in traffic? That was long waffle lol just putting ideas out............

It’s a shame but I think a wise choice given you have struggled with the ones you have, with all your other responsibilities (mum), while OH was out of action, we never know when things like that might happen.

Getting suze going more sounds like a good plan, you may find she can step up for you but if not she’ll be better set to find a new home.

It’s a shame but I think a wise choice given you have struggled with the ones you have, with all your other responsibilities (mum), while OH was out of action, we never know when things like that might happen.

Getting suze going more sounds like a good plan, you may find she can step up for you but if not she’ll be better set to find a new home.
I would never rehome Suze, she's very bonded with me, she Buddy Tintin and Aimee are forever here, the two donkey boys are 10, they could outlive me, it's better to rehome them this year and let them have a settled life. Fleur is the one that needs to go as well, and if Redwings in Scotland would take the donkeys - to join the sussex horse rescue donkeys who went up there, then maybe they would take her for rehoming. Otherwise I will see if Ellen Cochrane would take her and rehome her if i give her the money to do so, being World Agility Champion with Inara, she has much more access to sensible homes than i have.

I can manage them, if my back behaves. Which it is doing. It's just a lot of poo picking and also getting rid of it that's the real pain. Suze will step up, i just need to find an off road place where we can get her more experience, she is very steady, very bold i.e. this monring i did some circles on the yard, there was a plastic salt bag on the ground she just ignored it and walked over it without a thought. She isn't spooky, she's very calm, she just lacks experience.

It's difficult isn't it. Nothing has "found" me yet to replace Storm (Zi is OH's horse really and far too big for me at 17hh, given I'm a tad over 5 ft). I'm not convinced if something does find me I have room though - not until I've had a barn roof replaced and Zi can share with a friend in there. cos I totally understand your predicament - but if you want me to be honest.............I'd probably take the horse - because they don't come along that often and fit what you want to that tune. If you think he'd be a good fit for you.....................................And at the risk of sounding morbid your others won't be around forever......................okay that's just my two penneth. You know your situation obviously and whether it could work. Do you have enough land? I know it's hard work and I know from things you've said on here, your other half isn't always well to help? But where there's a will there's a way..............

Or, do you have to ride on roads because you like hacking best? Could you put a track in around your land? I hate roads personally and won't ride on them unless totally forced to in an extreme situation - so for me, I'm more than happy pootling about our own land. I don't know how much you have? Would that work for you and Suze? You know if she's not quite so good in traffic? That was long waffle lol just putting ideas out............
we have 7 acres, there is a track or riding in the field, but i like to go out and explore. The ground and stables isn't an issue really, but the expense is, given we have cats and dogs as well. Also he is uninsurable due to his age, with miles on the clock etc so it would be another set of unfunded vets bills to consider as well as more shit shovelling. Whether he would suit me or not i don't know, he is probably bigger than Buddy, maybe around 17hh but lighter built. He is ridden without gadgets which is good, and is sensible. But whether Buddy would tolerate him is an unknown as he has to be boss and at the riding school where he was kept, there were lots of horses he couldn't go out with as it was war.

It's a very tough one.
I am downsizing (trying to at least) because winters are just so tough and so much hard work.
I also know as it continues, it will only get harder for me.
Half of me is shouting "take him".
The other half says "walk away, you have enough on your plate".

So I am no use at all. LIke Trewsers, I haven't found my Haakon replacement.

It's a shame, but if it was me I'd do the same as you and say thanks but I can't.

I find it interesting that you're getting feedback from Suze about doing something again, and I really like your idea of finding somewhere else to get her going where you don't have to deal with roads until she's more established.

Its so tricky. I really want to find another. Saw an ad the other day, sounded right up my alley but the communication seemed to be lacking. But then im hesitant about the workload, the extra on the land and all the bills that go with it. Over all managing 3 horses with my on going health.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
It's a very tough one.
I am downsizing (trying to at least) because winters are just so tough and so much hard work.
I also know as it continues, it will only get harder for me.
Half of me is shouting "take him".
The other half says "walk away, you have enough on your plate".

So I am no use at all. LIke Trewsers, I haven't found my Haakon replacement.
122566969_3836437753051050_5037546913490971026_n.jpg

It's a shame, but if it was me I'd do the same as you and say thanks but I can't.

I find it interesting that you're getting feedback from Suze about doing something again, and I really like your idea of finding somewhere else to get her going where you don't have to deal with roads until she's more established.
I was planning to do it myself ie find somewhere to keep her and go up and ride her from there as she will be more comfy with me than someone else i.e. i can get her ridden here in the field garden etc off road, walk her out in hand on the road and ride her on the limited tracks we have from here. If i just send her to someone else, they will take the first month getting her going as she will be in shock as she has never been away from home. This is him

90806144_3225718560789642_1433324736653295616_n.jpg

I was planning to do it myself ie find somewhere to keep her and go up and ride her from there as she will be more comfy with me than someone else i.e. i can get her ridden here in the field garden etc off road, walk her out in hand on the road and ride her on the limited tracks we have from here. If i just send her to someone else, they will take the first month getting her going as she will be in shock as she has never been away from home. This is him

I completely got that, from all you've said about her I would think she's one of those horses that's better done by someone she knows and trusts.

Oh he is lovely.

newrider.com