Oh, the flies!

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Are they worse this year for anyone else? It's the little tiny midgies that are driving us demented here. Poor old Jack has a fly sheet on for the first time but he's still plagued by them flying round his legs. I stood with him while he ate (token feed with his Danilon, in the field) tonight so I could waft them off, otherwise he couldn't eat properly, he was chucking his food all over as he threw his head about biting at them. He is a wuss with flies generally, but he is really bad just now, and they're so tiny I don't know how they get through his hair to bite him, never mind how he manages to feel them as soon as they land.

Even Raf is covered in lumps, he's not usually bothered at all, so is YO and OH has been chuntering about them tonight. Definitely worse than they have ever been before, I just hope it's short lived.

I've been looking at fly sheets with legs, but a) I'm hoping that by the time I got one the fly problem will have moved on and b) Jack has a huge body (7' rug size) but short fat legs so I don't know if I could get him one to fit, obviously I don't want any that trail over his feet. I've seen Snuggy do legs that come to just below the knees but that's no good as it was round his fetlocks where the blighters were attacking him tonight.

• Sad
Reactions: Kite_Rider
Yup we’ve got those bloody midge type things, Belle has had to wear a fly sheet for the last few weeks as was coming in looking for all the world like someone had covered her in Belle coloured bubble wrap!
Mr KR and myself are getting bitten by them in our garden too, never known so many.

Yup we’ve got those bloody midge type things, Belle has had to wear a fly sheet for the last few weeks as was coming in looking for all the world like someone had covered her in Belle coloured bubble wrap!
Mr KR and myself are getting bitten by them in our garden too, never known so many.
I wonder what's different about this year? I'm guessing its something to do with it being so wet over winter, then so warm earlier in the year? No idea why that would mean there's so many of them right now though.

Love the bubble wrap description lol. Poor Belle though, hope she's happier now.

I've just seen a post on Facebook saying talcom powder deters them. Not sure if it's safe or not but the video seemed to show a huge reduction in fly numbers after applying it.

Reactions: Jessey
I've just seen a post on Facebook saying talcom powder deters them. Not sure if it's safe or not but the video seemed to show a huge reduction in fly numbers after applying it.
It's worth a try! I'll take some and put it on Jack's legs tomorrow - in fact I might do just one leg and observe for a while to see if there's any difference. Thanks Ale

Im lucky midges arent too bad currently. Some days are worse than others though. House flies were out tonight whilst we rode inspite spraying before we left the yard.

The way i look at it now. We are last week of july now. So weve just got to get through august so only another 5 weeks. I know sometimes September can be warm especially when the kids go back the sun comes out. Ha ha But nights are chilly by then and not so much daylight for flies to bug them.

Reactions: Bodshi
We’re better off this year, but neighbours 1/2 mile away are smothered, which I’m hoping means my multi point attack has helped. Jess is still in fly rug, mask and boots but at least she hasn’t injured herself because of them so far this year. The shires fly boots seem to do the job and they’re cheap enough at £20 for 4, would be better on chunkier legs as they’re a bit big on Jess.

The horse flies are worse here this year. I have my killing gloves on now when I take Storm out in a morning. Doesn’t help when there’s no breeze at all which is something alien to us!

Are they worse this year for anyone else? It's the little tiny midgies that are driving us demented here. Poor old Jack has a fly sheet on for the first time but he's still plagued by them flying round his legs. I stood with him while he ate (token feed with his Danilon, in the field) tonight so I could waft them off, otherwise he couldn't eat properly, he was chucking his food all over as he threw his head about biting at them. He is a wuss with flies generally, but he is really bad just now, and they're so tiny I don't know how they get through his hair to bite him, never mind how he manages to feel them as soon as they land.

Even Raf is covered in lumps, he's not usually bothered at all, so is YO and OH has been chuntering about them tonight. Definitely worse than they have ever been before, I just hope it's short lived.

I've been looking at fly sheets with legs, but a) I'm hoping that by the time I got one the fly problem will have moved on and b) Jack has a huge body (7' rug size) but short fat legs so I don't know if I could get him one to fit, obviously I don't want any that trail over his feet. I've seen Snuggy do legs that come to just below the knees but that's no good as it was round his fetlocks where the blighters were attacking him tonight.
Bandages or the snuggy hoods travel boots or thermatex leggings

We've had worse years than this. The crab flies (my nemesis) have all but gone, and really only a few horse flies to date. Hogan doesn't seem as sensitive as Ramsey was - so far.

Thanks everyone. I've ordered the Shires boots and am going to try the talc tip tonight, if he'll let me, he can be a funny old man with his own very definite ideas sometimes ?

Must say I'm a bit worried about covering him up so much, he lives out 24/7 and has never worn a fly sheet before, never mind boots. He is such a hot horse generally that I worry he'll be too warm. Plus he's old and not as hardy as he once was and I don't like the idea of a soaking wet rug stuck to him all night if it rains. Can't win!

Reactions: Huggy
We haven't had many horse flies yet, none round the yard but they are out on one of our hacks. The midgies are terrible though, I tried to video them all landing on me when I was walking the dog last night, but it didn't work out very well. I wonder if it has a negative impact on the health of the horses due to tiredness - most were doing walking laps last night when I passed with the dog, but the Section D was driven to trotting. There was an hour between me passing on the way out and the way back and he was still at it.

I tried the talc trick on Jack and I do think it made a difference. He enjoyed me putting it on and giving his legs a rub, and he didn't fuss as much when he was eating his tea. He was still doing the walking laps later though, so it wasn't a cure, but if it helps I'll carry on doing it while he eats.

I hate having Jess all togged up all summer but she’s happier with it on than not ? I try to whip the rug off if there will be consistent rain but if I get it wrong and there’s dry spells she’s covered in lumps by morning/evening, they do dry pretty quickly at least.

Ok so whoever said there’s less flies at night, lied! (Or had just never been out at night)

In my trips out last night to check on Jess I discovered her swarming with the bastard things, a hundred times worse than I’ve seen during the day. I don’t know what sort they were, it wasn’t the first thing on my mind, but I’m almost tempted to go out late next time I’m camping to ID them so try and form a plan of attack b they were awful.

There are swarms of flying ants about currently. Think it was in kent they were bad, they were showing up on the radar satellites.

• Wow
Ok so whoever said there’s less flies at night, lied! (Or had just never been out at night)

In my trips out last night to check on Jess I discovered her swarming with the bastard things, a hundred times worse than I’ve seen during the day. I don’t know what sort they were, it wasn’t the first thing on my mind, but I’m almost tempted to go out late next time I’m camping to ID them so try and form a plan of attack b they were awful.

That's interesting - I always thought they were worse in the evening and calmed down during the night. Poor horses are probably pacing about all night then.

Reactions: Jessey
@Bodshi I and a couple of other liveries have been having to bring in for a rest every morning, they are all so tired from trying to get away from them, so yes I think your theory may be right.

I've seen worse, but they are bad this year. In the daytime the boys are spending hours and hours in the shelter - more than 75% of the poo is in under cover. That's not normal.

That's interesting - I always thought they were worse in the evening and calmed down during the night. Poor horses are probably pacing about all night then.
Yep that’s what I’ve always heard and it’s true when you’re camping but it definitely wasn’t for poor Jess the other night.

We’ve had quite a lot of flying ants here @chunky monkey , tbh that may have been what was on Jess in the night, I’ve had to spray her fly rug off to get rid of them a couple of times recently in the day.

Lambie is sporting a fly collar. I bought one for Hetja (Icelandic mare) but put it on too loose and she rubbed it off. You can cut them up so next time, either tighter or on her ankles.

Lambie loves his fly collar. It has made a huge difference to him this Summer.

AB7 Industries Insect Repellent Collar for Horses

(cheapest one I use)

Reactions: Bodshi and Jessey
newrider.com