oil leak - how to clean up the mess?!

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
our muckheap was removed yesterday and the JCB doing it has spewed oil/diesel all over my yard. I didn't notice until i went to start power hosing the sh*t the driver welded onto our yard :stomp: i've power hosed the whole yard however the oil is still there. i don't want it contaminating our hay (we have large bales dropped on the yard) or causing the horses to slip. My first thought was to use fairy liquid but i don't really want that going down the runoff. Thereagain it can't be any worse than the oil! i know you can get more environmentally friendly detergents, or maybe those absorbent mats? any experiences?

You can get special granules for spreading to soak up spills like that, You'd be better with biological powder spread over it.

We used cat litter on our drive when my beloved Pajero sprung a whopping leak, worked a treat but I guess it would be a bit expensive if you need a huge amount.

my yard is about 50 square metres so would need a lot. cheers for the suggestions :) i'm going to pass them on to the culprit! i'm not cleaning (or paying for clean up of) his mess. and if it's spewing that amount onto my yard in just 30 minutes, what on earth is he leaving behind on the roads?!

I used to liberate sacks of a similar stuff a friend's mother used in her engineering shop. It was amazing at sucking up oil spils from concrete floors and stuff.

newrider.com