Ok thats it..........

Miriam

Jun 24, 2000
it has to be me not putting my trust in Rhi. As you know I have had many issues with cantering. I did manage the other day to get to canter Rhi and once again tonight. However I then went back over and know that it is me and not Rhi. Once again thanks to Darin and Sonia I am learning where my mistakes are. Only thing is with Rhi I cant put it right :(

Also thanks to Sonia and Darin I once again rode Paradise. Who gave me a superb time. First time round she was wanting to go but held her back and we walked until she came to the last corner of the school. Then it was trot. Went round again and last corner was canter. We did it again and found that once again I was not giving her a rein (although as always she had more than Rhi poor girl) I ws holding them too far up off the withers. Eventually Darin showed me where to hold the riens. Tried that and we just went round in small cirlces in canter. Sonia then gave me a few tips as I had half scared the living daylights out of myself and probably confused poor Pas. Set off again to try something different and before I set off into canter I had to take a few deep breaths. This time I managed to get my hands down. Oh and after one of our strange canters we nearly jumped a log but Pas decided to spook at it instead and I stayed on :D

Why oh why cant I trust Rhi to the same extent. When I got back on her to try again it was just once complete mess :( Oh yes I know cause she is a rascal and she mearly had me jumping the log in the paddock.Mmmmmmmmm strange to say that if Rhi had jumped it I would not have been to bothered but when Pas headed for it now that was a different matter

Last edited:
Oh! congratulations and well done!! :D And don't worry, as we've already told you, don't feel bad...you prefer to drive rhi more than you prefer to ride her. There's nothing wrong with that...at least you are trying, which is more than can be said for you not long ago with Rhi! :)

Oh dear, completely sympathise Miriam. I decided long ago that I am MUCH harder to train than any horse :eek: Working with another horse is such a good idea so that you know what you need to do (and that you are quite capable of doing it). No brilliant ideas on how to actually make yourself do it - it's just a case of a bit of time and eventually taking a deep breath and letting go of your fears and habits (which is even harder because you have to recognise them first). Its something you have to come to in your own way - I know how I do this for myself but we're each so different psychologically ... You're right tho' - when you do have that breakthrough and trust Rhi you will probably find her a changed horse (instantly).

Well I know my bad habits now. Just finding it harder to put right on Rhi as I tend to ride her with shorter reins than I do on Pas. I also tend to pull the reins up when cantering. So I need to learn to keep my hands down. I've also learnt a lot about Rhi's movements and that she has that high step that goes with a driving horse. Watched the difference in movement of Rhi in canter to the difference in movement of Pas in canter. Also learnt that she tends to throw herself into it from trot to canter.

Think it may be a case of going back to roots and learning to ride Rhi with a longer rein and all in all a new learning process

Are Darin and Sarah instructors? Maybe you should have some lessons with a good instructor just so you pass the responsibility onto someone else. They can be your eyes! You know your faults so need someone to correct them. Rhi clearly isn't an easy ride or drive so some help might be the way to go. If you can't afford (money or time for) lessons maybe an experienced sharer would be an idea so between you, you could improve Rhi's schooling and develop your trust in her. She sounds to be too much for you so having some breathing space where you work on your position and confidence at a riding school is possibly a good idea. As you say
Think it may be a case of going back to roots and learning to ride Rhi with a longer rein and all in all a new learning process
Take some time for yourself and enjoy riding again.

No just very good friends whom I trust. Darin has brought my confidence on with in matter of a few days. Its his wifes horse Paradise that I ride. So take notice of him as I dont want to ruin her horse. I've only rode her about three times and am canterng her that tells me something.

I already have a sharer for Rhi. I've also just arranged with a girl who is going to school her for me a couple of days a week

I dont think she is too much for me as driving wise we have a great rapore. We used to have it in riding too but just lost sight of it

well done miriam

miriam done very well in her riding class and gained her self a gold star now she can canter so well done miriam top of the class (even though she's the only one in it lol)

*accepts gold star. Takes a bow*

Thank you kind sir.

Seriously though thanks for the help you have given me over these last few weeks

the next step

wen you galop then you get a rosette then your on your way witch i will give you 4 weeks at the most

Good friends are essential, glad you're getting support :) . It is easy to lose sight of a positive relationship when things are going badly, you've already done the sensible things so good luck and enjoy the cantering. I hope you regain your happy riding relationship really soon - just think of those long summer evenings; they're nearly here :)

Arggghh avoid the galloping ....you can't appreciate the daffodils at that speed. A gentle canter is much more ladylike :D

Well said David!

Don't expect too much from yourself Miriam. Just take one week at a time, and maybe even set yourself weekly goals to achieve. Each week those goals could become a little more taxing...I.e next week, just aim for one complete circuit of the school in canter on both Rhi and Pas, then the week after perhaps lunge work on each of them with Darren or Sarah?

You're doing great, and from the posts you keep putting up over the last few weeks, it definately sounds like you are doing more and more all the time. Go Mim! :D :D

Jo xx

DavidH said:
Me thinks you are too hard on yourself. ;)
Recognise the major progress you are making and take pleasure in it. :D

Awwww thank you David. That is very soothing coming form someone like you that we admire. I guess the next step is that you come up here and teach me to jump :eek:

Jojo Thanks

Last edited:
Aw thanks David I'd beter make sure that Pas does not go anywhere otherwise you may be giving me confidence lessons on Rhi :D

newrider.com