Ok, think I'm starting to pull my hair out.. Shadow's ill

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
Temp of 41C had Vet out, he's had an internal, to which the vet pulled a mass of poo out. He kept panting, nostrils going ten to the dozen, I've cold hosed him twice to bring his temp down. I've just left him tucking into his hay, dosed up on bute and antibiotics. Going back down about 8ish to see if he's passed anything. Vet thinks Colic may be secondery. Infection highly like the cause. Have updated vet, fingers crossed guys xx

Having just left him, temp is now 38.3C after 90 mins of being over 40C.. The Sun was very intense this afternoon, and his field mates temp was normal, but then he's more white than black, Shadow is near black. Also his winter coat is coming through, and he's moulting like mad.

Oh no poor Shadow. Hope it's nothing serious, maybe like you say just a case of getting overheated, or at any rate I don't suppose the hot weather would help if he has a temperature anyway. Hope he stays nice and settled in his stabled and fingers crossed for a big fat poo when you go down later x

Oh ds I'm sorry to read this and sending healing vibes to you and shadow.hope the 8 check finds him more comfortable.
Hugs to you both x

Well at least his temp is back down to normal level now and he is eating, that must be a good sign I would have thought. Is he drinking water OK? If he has become overheated for whatever reason it is really important that you make sure he is rehydrating, but I am sure your vet has said this anyway.

I shouldn't worry too much about the vet pulling a load of poo out, they often have to do that just to get right past the stuff in the system that is on its way through if you know what I mean. Doesn't mean that it was stuck inside them necessarily, just in the vet's way.

I hope he is soon back to his usual self and that it isnt anything too serious for him and for you.:smile:

Well at least his temp is back down to normal level now and he is eating, that must be a good sign I would have thought. Is he drinking water OK? If he has become overheated for whatever reason it is really important that you make sure he is rehydrating, but I am sure your vet has said this anyway.

I shouldn't worry too much about the vet pulling a load of poo out, they often have to do that just to get right past the stuff in the system that is on its way through if you know what I mean. Doesn't mean that it was stuck inside them necessarily, just in the vet's way.

I hope he is soon back to his usual self and that it isnt anything too serious for him and for you.:smile:

We had Shadow bobbing for apples... was quite funny watching him chase them around the water tub... He's been taking sips from the bucket a lot in the last hour after the vet left, so dehydration must be the key - that coupled with heat stroke and a raised temp meant a very poorly horse :cry:
I could see he wasn't right when my friend asked me if I was being paraniod.. I could see and hear the poor boy panting as he tried to stuff his face (yes, he never lost his appetite despite how crap he felt) all my friend could see was his belly moving as he pulled at the net. I could see the whole body moving to every pant he was taking.
I ended up hosing him down twice, as he started panting again when the vet arrived. The vet was really pleased though when his temp dropped 2C in just under 90 mins. When I left, he was steaming from his flanks, but his temp was ok, checked it twice before I left him, and it had dropped a bit more inbetween. He just seemed to loose the ability to sweat..

Just got back, he'd done a big pile of pooo and his temp is normal (37.6) I've put him in the field at the back of the stables with his friend (near enough to bring in if he has a set back). He's back to his usual happy self :smile:

I'm really feeling it myself now.. the stress of having a demic horse, or he certainly feels like one this year. He's on day three of his antibiotics and bute, not sure whether to start weaning him off the bute tomo, as need to see if he can regulate his temp by himself.
Have contacted the vet via email.
He came legging it up the field tonight, honestly, you wouldn't know anything was wrong.
His temp came down really quickly after the vet left on Sunday, he was really surprised and pleased that it did. It's remained the same ever since. I remember back to when he had that virus at Easter, it took 4 days for his temp to return to normal, so fingers crossed it wasn't viral this time, but possibly bacterial.
I can't believe that a couple of symptoms others didn't think was a sign of something wrong were enough to spring me into action and call the vet. The vet said I'd done the right thing, treating him as though he had heat stroke and hosing him down. Within 15 mins, he was breathing normal. The steam coming off him (he was dry to the touch, but also burning hot) when I left him to come home for a couple of hours was astronomical though, by that time his temp was normal, and he was comfortable.
I sat with him for 5 hours on Sunday afternoon, just observing and keeping him comfy.

I'm actually wondering whether my horse is refusing to drink from the bath.. i've changed the water as it was green! (thinking algae - I prefer my horse having access to clean fresh water).. Also wondering if someone has been giving him tit bits, might stick a notice up asking them not to, but wondering whether that might cause more problems :unsure:

I left him tonight taking a blooming good swig from it.

newrider.com