Feb 27, 2002
Florida
www.lorienstable.com
This is Daisy:

http://www.galadriel.shaftnet.org/temp/daisy-no-rider.jpg

http://www.galadriel.shaftnet.org/temp/daisy-sarah.jpg

http://www.galadriel.shaftnet.org/temp/daisy-kennedy.jpg

She's a leetle bitty 12 hand thing.

After all the goings on about how ponies can carry real people, I'd like some opinions about whether this little thing can happily carry me every so often. She'd been near ruined when I took her over, and I've had my best student work with her, but she needs some REAL, experienced schooling to break some bad habits.

That, and it'd be nice to ride somebody in out of the pastures and not have to slog through the mud, and I can't get up on my 16.2 and 17hh things ;) --especially not in the mud!

Anyway, I'm 5'10" and about medium in weight...and the couple of times that I've gotten on in lessons to correct her, she hasn't seemed to have any problems.

Opinions? :)

i think that she is lovely and looks really good health !!

what problems does she have ?

you may be able to correst the problems if you feel ok riding her and dont feel she may be a bit small - you legs will hang down but i guess in stead of using you heels to kick you could use you calves !!!!!

i rode a 12hh welsh and i felt i bit percched but i got used to it and managed ok and schooled him untill he thew me off al the time !!!!!!!

what breed is she?

she looks like a sterdy pony so i would think that she can carry your weight but is she old ar young that makes a bit of a difference too !!!!

i think if she is happy carrying you - you should try her and see how she is and carry on if you was=nt and dont if you dont want to.

You haven't said how much you weigh so it's difficult to comment if you'd be too big for her or not.

At 5'10 your legs would definately be too long but at my old riding school the riding instructors used to school all the horses and ponies for an hour each day and I've seen tall people schooling little ponies.

I'm 5'9 inches tall and I ride a 14.2hh Dales pony who's built like a tank and he's about right for me.

Generally, if the pony objects it will find a way of ditching you in the dirt so you'll soon find out if it minds or not! LOL:D

What a little cutie! She's looks alot like my pony that I sold this summer. Shes was only 11 hands and she carried me 5'3" and a young girl that worked with me that was about 5'5" of course not at the same time LOL! Ponies are pretty darn sturdy little beasts. Your legs do hang way down but Nala good really get in a good gallop with me on her and she also was dang strong enough to give me a good buck when she wanted. I still haven't ever fallen off of my horse but I fell off of that pony plenty! I guess I took more chances on her because the ground was closer.

They're the daughters of a friend of mine. Not *my* kids--I'm still too much of a kid to want any of my own yet ;) They are precious tho!

Pony has been amusing this week. She really doesn't like the kiddees much. When I took her over, she had only ever been caught/handled for a lesson--and ridden English in a Western bridle, sigh. She was VERY unhappy with people in general. She'd shrink back into her stall when you tried to pet her. She didn't want to be touched, talked to, anything. She was terrified of water and wouldn't even get on the washrack (although that was when I learned that actually, yes, I *am* stronger than she is!)

I spent quite some time trying to make friends with her. I'd make her get up on the washrack, groom her, and let her go...I'd bring her treats for no reason but make her let me pet her before she could have them. Now, when she's loose, she often walks up to me to be scratched...a couple of days ago I wouldn't pay any attention to her (I was busy!) so she stuck her head in my lap. She's still not thrilled with the kiddees, but she seems to have decided that I'm okay ;)

A couple of days ago I hopped on her back to ride her through the mud on into the barn. She plodded on forward; when we got nearer to the barn (at least solid, even if wet) I clicked at her a couple of times & leaned forward, and she charged! It was too funny. She was quite happy to run around with ME on her back. Silly girl.

She needs some re-schooling because the person(s) before me who used her for lessons didn't really know what they were doing. She was ridden English in a Western bridle, she was allowed to get away with all sorts of naughty tricks (dodging out of jumps such that her little riders fell off! refusing to keep on the rail when ridden, having to be yanked around to turn...) I've got the students riding better (phew), but she still needs a little work. I think maybe I can do it ;) if she seems this happy about me being on her back. I suppose it'll need to be bareback ;) but no problem.

aww what a sweet little pony!
you've done so well to get her to be trusting you..
Oh and, not to criticise or anything but in those pics the saddle is a bit too far forwars, you could slide it back3 or 4 inches easily.

No, that saddle is right where it ought to be; I think perhaps you are fooled by the funky, too-large saddle pad.

Well, guys, I moved my horses away from the stable that owns Daisy, with the agreement that I'd keep paying for her food and hay, shots, farrier, etc, and come back to use her for lessons. Yesterday they started telling me that I ought to be paying them a grounds fee. I'm fed up--I laid out a lot of money already, and I'm done. I'm going to send all my clients to somebody else and just stop teaching (shrug). So bye-bye to leetle Daisy; ah well.

She's made drastic improvements while I was handling her every day, making sure to handle her for not-riding as well as for riding so she'd be catchable; to be friendly and pet her every time I went by so she'd stop being suspicious; to fix a lot of her bad manners and vices under saddle. I hope they don't mess her up again too badly.

newrider.com