Older newbie rider

Shell

Jan 21, 2020
Hi all
I just found this forum whilst googling. I just took up riding last year (October), just after I turned 50. I have always wanted to learn but never had the money or time. Now my kids are almost off my hands it's time for me! The plan is to get my own horse or load when I'm semi retired (I work full time night duties).
I guess I'm looking for encouragement, especially from the older newbie riders, also a place to ask my stupid questions.

Hello and welcome :D You'll always find lots of encouragement here. I began again as an adult at 34 having regular lessons - progressing to ownership. Now just turned 50 and no plans to stop......................:)
And there's no daft questions on here lol (if there are I'll have asked the majority hahahaha). Hope you keep us posted with your progress.

Reactions: BW123 and Huggy
Welcome! You have found the right place :) Where abouts in the world are you (we have people here from several different countries)?

Reactions: Huggy
You are very welcome. I started at 62 and my OH at 67.
I did encounter problems at my first RS and was kindly rescued by riding teachers here on this forum.

Welcome! No questions are stupid, and the need for advice and answers is never-ending - for me at least! I bought my second at 62 ( :eek: ) and there are plenty of us, ahem...mature riders/owners! Good luck on your journey.

Reactions: Trewsers
Welcome! I'm back taking riding lessons again at 60. (I have ridden in the past though.) Good luck with you horsey adventures. I too hope to share/loan once my new job settles down to regular-ish hours. It will be a roller coaster, but once you're on it will be very, very to get off. It takes hold. Have fun - there are others like me on here who don't own. Look forward to hearing more about your experiences....

• Love
Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
I started for the first time age 52. 6 years on I have my own rescue horse and I’ve never looked back since the day I got her . No depression now for 6 years either. . Toffee , my own little antidepressant x

Hi, I just started riding in November and absolutely love it. Had my first fall today so a bit bruised but have booked my lessons for February so it hasn't put me off!

Do you realise that after any fall one needs to buy a new hat? It can get expensive. I fell off about once a year for 11 years while learning to ride.

I only replace my hat if my head comes into contact with the ground. Should you replace after any fall.

I am the same and would only replace if my head came into contact with the ground or a limb of my horse on the way down or something. I cant see any reason to otherwise.

Welcome Shell - and I am sure we will all give you lots of encouragement - I am an older rider but have been riding now for nearly 70 years :eek: :D

The only stupid question around horses is the one you or I or anyone else didnt bother to ask because we thought you knew it all. ;)

Hi all
I just found this forum whilst googling. I just took up riding last year (October), just after I turned 50. I have always wanted to learn but never had the money or time. Now my kids are almost off my hands it's time for me! The plan is to get my own horse or load when I'm semi retired (I work full time night duties).
I guess I'm looking for encouragement, especially from the older newbie riders, also a place to ask my stupid questions.
Ok as a newbie rider who from a child wanted so much to ride but never had the means. I had ridden horses on holiday etc loved it! When I was 68 had my first proper riding lesson with my granddaughters! Never looked back since! Fortunately I'm physically fit and doing so well in my riding,70 this year and still going strong ! And hope to do so for many years to come.

Ok as a newbie rider who from a child wanted so much to ride but never had the means. I had ridden horses on holiday etc loved it! When I was 68 had my first proper riding lesson with my granddaughters! Never looked back since! Fortunately I'm physically fit and doing so well in my riding,70 this year and still going strong ! And hope to do so for many years to come.
You got in! Yay!

How brilliant that you started at 68! You hold the record. My OH first sat on a horse aged 67 andwe thought he would always be the oldest beginner ever. Like you I always wanted to ride and couldnt because my husband thought it too dangerous. There is no reason why you cant ride for many years to come. I am now 80. I am tho taking a break till March. I got so cold riding before Christmas that it made me ill so decided to wait for Spring.

newrider.com