Olympia on TV

Em 1

Aug 18, 2001
I've just found out that there's loads of coverage of Olympia on the red button :) This might well be old news as I'm usually the last to find this sort of thing out but I thought I'd post just in case it was useful:D

BBC Coverage

Wed 17th Dressage – 20.00 – 22.25 on the red button
Thurs 18th Puissance – 21.00 – 22.15 on the red button
Sun 21st FEI World Cup Jumping – 13.45 – 16.30 tbc live on BBC2,
Mon 22nd Entire evening performance – 18.15 – 22.15 live on the red button
Tues 23rd Olympia highlights – 13.45 – 14.45

My pleasure! Usually I'm a week behind the world so I'm really looking forward to watching it rather than finding out it was on after the event:rolleyes::D

I have found lots of inspiration for dressage.
Not really my thing.

The technical moves (piaffe, passage) are not really my thing either but what was truly inspirational was the harmony and communication between - in particular- Charlotte and Valegro. Unlike some riders whose aids were very obvious, they were just moving together. It reminded me of that Rashid demo where he talked about blending with the horse and just directing the flow of energy with your mind/intent so that aids became largely unnecessary. Beautiful.

Reactions: Rubic
I was there. So lucky. I love the way Edward Gall rides too - There was a time when I went several years in succession to both nights of dressage. I wish I had this year but it is simply too late. I used to get exhausted. The audience doesnt get clear of the venue till after 11.00 p.m. and that means even for us Londoners getting home after midnight. If it is bad for me, it must be dreadful for the riders! OH says what about the horses? But I tell him horses dont sleep so many hours.
I had never seen Charlotte du Jardin and Valegro live and yes Krissie 1, there was a big difference - not just in her riding and the partnership but in the behaviour and demeanour of the horse. It is different in the flesh I think from the Olympics on TV. May be because the camera focuses on a detai but in the arena you see the complete space and the horse and rider mobile within it.
I was quite against time changes in dressage, till I saw them ridden yesterday - and the multiple pirouettes too. But I do myself sometimes ask unreasonable things of the horses I ride, just to have their submission to my whims. And am praised for it by staff who are surprised.
So any of us who show off stuff on our horses, are in no position to question the artificiality of these disciplines?
I have questions - so will start another thread. But am completely tired today, just when I need to saw the bottom off the Christmas tree.

I was quite against time changes in dressage, till I saw them ridden yesterday - and the multiple pirouettes too. But I do myself sometimes ask unreasonable things of the horses I ride, just to have their submission to my whims. And am praised for it by staff who are surprised.
So any of us who show off stuff on our horses, are in no position to question the artificiality of these disciplines?

Personally I don't see how 1/2 time changes are an unreasonable thing to ask of certain horses. These horses are bred for dressage (more often than not), they are trained gradually to build up the correct muscle and good form so they can perform the movements without injury (and, dare I say it, relative ease eventually). IMO it is like an athlete of any sport; you don't just jump in straight to doing marathons or playing olympic squash, you start at the bottom and work your way up. I do believe that some horses just aren't physically made to do such movements, I think you need to take into account what each individual horse is physically and mentally capable of. At the end of the day, it is a horse, 500kg+ of animal with a mind of its own, if it didn't "want" to do it it wouldn't. Really you could say that riding a horse is unreasonable or artificial... who can say they were ever meant to be ridden?

Reactions: squidsin
I was there last night. I am not a massive dressage fan tbh but it was amazing. Charlottle Dujardin and Valegro - just wow. The other riders must hate them, ha ha! They're all brilliant but that pairing is just a cut above. It is like Valegro can actually dance!

My friend Sam was riding in the military jumping bit (he came last, but at least he didn't fall off during the lap of victory gallop like the winner!)

Reactions: Gimp
I am sorry squids in. If I had known I would definitely have watched. Years ago when I didnt understand Olympia, I watched everything. But yesterday deliberately didnt - I was shopping for OH and grand daughter and trying on a Tree House bp etc. I didnt go to my seat till the Shetland Grand national - another ikonic event that has always perplexed me.

When I said I didnt fancy tempi changes that is because every now and then people talk to me about buying a dressage horse and doing it seriously. Partly to get me away from the dangers of hacking. But giving me ideas above my station.

I agree with you absolutely about C du J and Vallegro - but can you actually define what it is? I mean if you were Carl Hester's coach, what would you advise him to do?

I am sorry squids in. If I had known I would definitely have watched. Years ago when I didnt understand Olympia, I watched everything. But yesterday deliberately didnt - I was shopping for OH and grand daughter and trying on a Tree House bp etc. I didnt go to my seat till the Shetland Grand national - another ikonic event that has always perplexed me.

When I said I didnt fancy tempi changes that is because every now and then people talk to me about buying a dressage horse and doing it seriously. Partly to get me away from the dangers of hacking. But giving me ideas above my station.

I agree with you absolutely about C du J and Vallegro - but can you actually define what it is? I mean if you were Carl Hester's coach, what would you advise him to do?

It's just a magical relationship, although that horse is something very, very, VERY special. I'd be interested to see her scores on a different, albeit talented horse.

It's just a magical relationship, although that horse is something very, very, VERY special. I'd be interested to see her scores on a different, albeit talented horse.

She has ridden nip/tuck & also Carl's old Olympic ride (whose name I can't remember??) - on both horses she received excellent scores. Less on nip/tuck but believe this is down to him not being as advanced as Valegro or Carl's other horse.
Will have to google his name - it's there on the tip of my tongue !

newrider.com