OMG! OH bowed to the inevitable!!

Tillytoo

Dec 2, 2010
east sussex
Well! last night we were idley talking about options for future horse ownership, and I was explaining that I would rather go for a livery option as oposed to buying grazing land because horses need horses and I will need support from horsey people. And OH said 'well why can't you do that now' :hot: Then the next sentence started with 'When you get your horse...' NOT 'if you ever get a horse...' which it always has before.

Its not like I need his permision or anything, but horse ownership is such a commitment I really wanted him to be on board with it before I tak the plunge.

Anyway the thing now is how exactly do you go about putting a horse on livery? Do you identfy livery first and then buy horse or do you look for both at once, so you go on waiting lists? and pay for an empty stable while you look?

I'm a bit scared now it looks like I might be actually taking the plunge. Still aiming for next year at the earliest.

Eeeekkkkk lol .... exciting *bounce*

The best thing is to have a look at yards first, see what is near by, what each offers and at what cost. Then have a think about what you want out of horse ownership.

Are you happy just to do a bit of hacking, or are you planning on showing/schooling/dressage. Is a school important, how does turnout affect your day to day routines with work etc etc

In the past when i was looking, i found the yard i wanted to be on, and put a retainer on a stable for 1 month, that gave me the time to look for a horse.

Hope that helps and good luck

:dance::dance::dance: Fantastic!!

I looked at just one yard, handy for me to get to ( on a bus route if I have car problems, but only about two miles away so could walk it too, in fact bus route thing is now obsolete as got the bus last week and it cost me £2.20 :frown: a lot, in my opinion anyway, for such a short trip) sorry wandering off here lol

Didn't have to pay anything before I actually got a horse, I just had a look around, explained to the YO that I was just starting to look for one and was not sure if it would be next week or next month when I actually got one. She was fine about this and just told me to ring her when I had something sorted.... as it was it was only about three weeks later when I got so lucky and found my boy :dance::dance:

Good luck when you start really looking and can't wait to hear what you get etc ...

Thankyou for replies and advice, thing is now I'm feeling a bit 'ooo...eeerrr, blimey...gulp' now.

Right, so I find a nice place for him to live then find the perfect horse to fill it.

Simples. (ooo...eeerrr...blimey...gulp)

How exciting!!!!!!!!!

There are tonnes of people on here who would looove to internet pony shop for you :)

newrider.com