OMG!! Pete can jump! I'm thrilled! :D

BeachRiding

Aug 26, 2004
USA
I don't think it is possible for me to be any happier!:D Rode Pete today w/t/c confidently and in control, then I decided to see if he could free-lunge. He did so with no problem. Set up a 2 foot jump. Pop, he goes over like its nothing! 2'3? no problem! 2'6, of course, 3' hell ya! I stopped there ( only had him do 3' once) as this is his first ever time jumping and I didn't want him to be sore. I am so thrillled! I thought this horse being a supreme Western Pleasure horse would not be able to pop a jump, let alone 3'!

I can't wait till he has gained some weight and is in better shape, I bet he will be a real dream to jump then! I am falling deeper and deeper in love with Pete everyday. He IS my dream horse. I am so in love.:)

The sun was almost down so it was way too dark to take pictures.:p
Pete-2.jpg

Wow, that sounds like alot of fun. Soon you will be on him while jumping. It's amazing some horse's don't mind a jump meanwhile others just think NO WAY I can't jump THAT, when its only 1'!

Why do you free school them over such big jumps? If he hasn't done any before or for a while surely you should stay to small ones and just a couple the first time?

I told you he could probably jump though.

Ditto Bobbin. It looks like you've got away with it from the photos, but to take a horse you think has never jumped, face him with 2' and then rapidly put it up to 3' is madness. You should really have started with poles, then progressed to stuff about 6" high. You got away with it because he jumped it, and judginng by the photo, jumped it well. But what would you have done if he'd refused or got himself in a mess? And frightened himself so he didn't want to jump again? You'd then not have been starting from no jumping, you'd have been starting from a bad experience jumping.

WL, although I'm sure you're excited to have a new horse and be able to do things with him, things you couldn't with Gitch and Willie, you do need to slow down. Pete has had his entire world uprooted and he's suddenly in a new place, with new people and new horses. Putting him over jumps that high is madness, especially if he's never jumped before. He doesn't look happy about it, his ears are pinned right back.

Slow it down and enjoy your time with him!

this is his first ever time jumping
Sorry but if it was his first time jumping why put them up so big?
3' is very big jump,especially for a horse that is green to jumping.
You really need to start with the basics,don't just throw up a massive jump and chase him over it.

oh... god, now I feel really bad. I didn't mean to overdo it. I guess I was just so thrilled he could do it. :eek: :( :( Kicking myself now. Hopefully Pete will forgive me for my mistake. :(

Last edited:
oh come on now - it's perfectly normal to free-jump a horse higher than you would ride him ! It's much easier for a horse to learn what to do with his body over fences without having to balance a rider as well ! Sure, she's got carried away and overjumped him - but she hasn't killed him ! Lighten up, guys, she's done wrong. She won't do it again, and he'll forgive.

Realistically WL, you only want to be sending him over little stuff, and working on his style and technique over grids, trotting poles, build up to little bounce doubles .. it's all about him figuring out his striding at this stage an developing a confident rounded shape. You could invest in '101 jumping exercises' - that would be fun for both of you as it sets out different exercises, with how to work out distances, next thing to try .... you'd love it.

newrider.com